Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readynas Remote Access Model

greyt
Aspirant

Readynas Remote Access Model

Can someone run me through how Netgear expect the current remote access model to work for 6.2.2 devices. In our business environments :-

1) We set up groups, add users to groups, assign groups to shares and individual folders within these shares to match business requirements. (Standard Microsoft model)
2) If a user wants to access remotely then we have to create a Readycloud account, invite the user to the share.

So, a user needs to have two separate accounts to access the same set of data depending on whether they are local or remote. We cannot assign cloud users to a group so every single user has to go through the invite process. Folder and file permissions are ignored when using a cloud account so it is not practical to give non admins remote access, otherwise all cloud users can access confidential data. On top of this it appears that Cloud accounts have different permissions requirements to access data, we have some Nas's where everything works fine locally but out security protected shares are not accessible via Readycloud (non secured shares are accessible).

I took a look at the Readycloud desktop app. This appears to have removed the functionality that Readynas Remote used to have. With Readynas Remote the server would appear in Windows Explorer and a user could enter their local Nas credentials so they could work as though they were on the local LAN. This assumes that Readynas Remote would connect of course which was never 100% reliable.

Am I missing something fundamental here or is Readycloud just aimed at basic home user environments where file permissions and multiple users are not so important?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 5
Nhellie
Virtuoso

Re: Readynas Remote Access Model

ReadyCloud had replaced ReadyNAS Remote, so all of the features were supposed to be merged. IMHO, seeing the ReadyCloud app right now, it appears that it is still on a transition state.

follow this thread as well:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=78794

These links might just give you some more information about permission settings on the ReadyCloud:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detai ... d-users%3F

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detai ... ocal-users
Message 2 of 5
greyt
Aspirant

Seems a disjointed implementation. Two separate security models with different accounts for a single set of data depending on whether the user is inside or outside of the office. The docs you linked do show that Netgear assume that security only ever happens at a share level. Not great for business but at least I understand what they offer now.

Will have to stick to old fashioned VPN to client sites for data access and scrap any offering of web access..... Shame since Netgear are 80% of the way there....

Thanks for the links. It does clarify that Readycloud software is flakey at the moment I did install it on a VM in our Datacenter to test connectivity to client sites. After 10 minutes it finally managed to connect to 2 client sites, not a great user experience. One site worked OK, the other has no data share access even though the user has been granted access via Readycloud.
Message 3 of 5
Nhellie
Virtuoso

greyt wrote:
Seems a disjointed implementation. Two separate security models with different accounts for a single set of data depending on whether the user is inside or outside of the office. The docs you linked do show that Netgear assume that security only ever happens at a share level. Not great for business but at least I understand what they offer now.

I agree, yesterday we were just discussing about the security as well. Follow this thread, we might just get some more information from support:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=79844&p=450926#p450926

I guess, we'll have to wait until they finalized ReadyCloud. Hopefully it will improve in a few months, along with the FW. 🙂
Message 4 of 5
EskenderNG
NETGEAR Employee

Hello greyt,

You are making some very good points. Like you stated local and remote access is pretty much divided in two separate areas.

However, I would like to correct the statements about permissions and security. The only ReadyCLOUD user who can see all shares is the one used when enabling the ReadyCLOUD service on the device – basically a ReadyCLOUD admin. All other cloud users can only access the share to which they were invited to plus all other shares that allow anonymous access. So, restricted shares remain restricted, also when using the ReadyCLOUD functionality.

Furthermore, with the ReadyCLOUD Desktop App I believe you can still access the shared folders in Windows Explorer by clicking on the Share name within the App.

greyt wrote:
The docs you linked do show that Netgear assume that security only ever happens at a share level. Not great for business but at least I understand what they offer now.

Could you please explain further what you would like to see concerning securing access?

Thank you very much,

Eskender
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements