× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Error Backing up files with hash symbol as leading character '#' in filename

joanBC
Aspirant

Error Backing up files with hash symbol as leading character '#' in filename

Hi,

RN424, FW 6.10.5

I'm successfully backing up my files from a share (local) in the RN424 into a FTP server configured in the same RN424 unit (remote). To do so I'm using the backup up functionality in the ReadyNAS GUI.

The issue is files with a leading hash char in filenames are not backed up because:

Cannot copy joan/...long_path_bla_bla.../#meia (2021_04_29 08_03_27 UTC).log! URL using bad/illegal format or missing URL

I just renamed the very same files adding a prefix like 'data_' and not removing the hash file (just adding a prefix), and then everything works ok.

The question is just: Is this a limitation by design, a bug, or what?

Thanks

Message 1 of 3
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Error Backing up files with hash symbol as leading character '#' in filename

Hi joanBC,

Welcome to the Community!

If you tried removing the # on the affected files, does it work?

Can you also provide the whole error message? It can be a path limitation too, but it is hard to say because the whole path is filtered out.

Regards,

Message 2 of 3
joanBC
Aspirant

Re: Error Backing up files with hash symbol as leading character '#' in filename

Hi,

thank you for your interest.

As I said in my initial message, just adding a prefix to the file, that is, making the char '#' not leading char in the filename, is enough to make the copy work. No need to change path, so path is not the issue here.

let's take for instance that:

Copy (F) joan/SERVERJOAN/Da...--not--so--long--path--here--...irc/irc_#meia_20000809 (2021_06_15 09_23_48 UTC).log

works just fine because the file name does not longer begins with char '#'

whereas:

Cannot copy joan/SERVERJOAN/Da...--not--so--long--path--here--...irc/#meia_20000809 (2021_04_29 08_03_27 UTC).log! URL using bad/illegal format or missing URL

So my guess is files with leading # char cannot be copied using ReadyNAS Backup tool. Does this happens to enybody else?

Regards

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements