× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RR2312 UART serial console connection

pioter83
Aspirant

RR2312 UART serial console connection

Hello,

trying to connect to UART serial console USB<>Micro USB. Have two cables, both with right drivers:

1) Chimera UART Cable FTDI

2) Octoplus micro UART Prolific USB to serial

Step by step:

1) start COM connection with Putty with 9600 or 115200 on right COM port

2) press and hold reset button

3) press power button

4) wait about 1 minute so all LED blinks

Can see nothing on Putty.

When I start from point 2), 3), 4) and then 1) still the same.

Is there anything I do wrong?

Message 1 of 3
Sandshark
Sensei

I have never seen anything that says any ReadyNAS uses any standard FTDI pin-out for the UART port.  Everything I see on using it starts with figuring out which pin is which.  There is also the fact that some ReadyNAS (mostly legacy units) use a 5V UART and some use 3.3V.  I've not seen anything on which the RR2312 uses, and my 2312 is in storage, so I can't check. Connecting a 3.3V adapter to a 5V port will simply not work, while connecting a 5V adapter to a 3.3V port could do damage.

Hopefully, you just need to swap transmit and receive, as any other wrong connection could do damage.  But I don't see how you would do that on either of those adapters.

Message 2 of 3
pioter83
Aspirant

You are right, but I wasn't. As I found "use any USB<>micro USB cable - I did so... got nothing... [solution just by now 😉 ]

Ordered two cables I found, people wrote about... none worked...

[solution] NOT "any USB<>micro USB cable" - be sure your cable provides DATA transfer... that's all!

PS. Info about making RR2312 an TrueNAS will provide tomorrow in different thread [will attach here]

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements