× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas2120 V2 after changing the snapshot configuration is very slow

Moataz
Aspirant

ReadyNas2120 V2 after changing the snapshot configuration is very slow

Good day to you sir, 

I just ask for your help as I changed the ReadyNas Snapshot configuration and now the files and folder are responding very slow, sometimes they don't open.

I tried to restart it still its causing the same issue. 

Please advise me.

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNas2120 V2 after changing the snapshot configuration is very slow

@Moataz wrote:

and after a research I understood that any change in the snapshot configuration affects the snapshot by pruning and creating new snapshot one with full backup and the rest are incremental backups.

Changing the snapshot settings likely did result in additional pruning - which would explain the temporary performance slowdown.

But you seem to have a misunderstanding on how snapshots work.  None of your snapshots are backups, from a storage perspective all of them are incremental.

You might want to read through this: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/ReadyNAS-312-Need-Help-Understandin...

Snapshots are handy, but if you want to keep your data safe, you need to have an independent copy on a differect device.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

You need to be more specific.  You changed them from what to what?  How long has this persisted after the change?  Does the log indicate it has created or deleted snapshots?  It could be just something temporary while the NAS deletes snapshots and reclaims the space they used.

Message 2 of 4
Moataz
Aspirant

Hello again, 

I changed the snapshot retention from a period of time to a number of snapshots, but I realised now it started to perform faster, and after a research I understood that any change in the snapshot configuration affects the snapshot by pruning and creating new snapshot one with full backup and the rest are incremental backups.

I also realized that some .Tmp files were created. Can I manually delete them? Or will they be deleted after finishing the snapshot creation? 

Thanks a lot

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@Moataz wrote:

and after a research I understood that any change in the snapshot configuration affects the snapshot by pruning and creating new snapshot one with full backup and the rest are incremental backups.

Changing the snapshot settings likely did result in additional pruning - which would explain the temporary performance slowdown.

But you seem to have a misunderstanding on how snapshots work.  None of your snapshots are backups, from a storage perspective all of them are incremental.

You might want to read through this: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/ReadyNAS-312-Need-Help-Understandin...

Snapshots are handy, but if you want to keep your data safe, you need to have an independent copy on a differect device.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements