× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Readycloud for Android v2.0.7 (latest)

Destne
Aspirant

Readycloud for Android v2.0.7 (latest)

Hey all,

Changes to Android are making access to Android/data in the device's internal storage increasingly difficult. Readycloud is able to download files from my NAS fine and writes them in Android/data/com.netgear.readycloud/... but it is becoming incredibly difficult to then get any app to read that data.

This is entirely deliberate by Google and is apparently likely to get worse as they tighten security on third party data storage.

Is there any user configurable way to change where Readycloud downloads to?

Or any plan to offer it?

Readycloud has many limitations (won't run in background being the major one!) but is nevertheless a really useful app. But without some change to enable user choice of target destination it is becoming unusable....

Anyone got hints / tips / news /a better understanding ?

Thanks a lot,

Peter

Message 1 of 2
Destne
Aspirant

Re: Readycloud for Android v2.0.7 (latest)

After some more research a bit more info to share...

Android 11 only allows an app to access it's own folder in android/data. So when readycloud stores downloaded files there it can see them fine but it has no facility to let you list/access/play them . A few file managers can see them fine. But no other app can. So if I download my music, VLC (or whatever music player you use) for example will not be able to see it in android/data/com.netgear.readycloud/...

The share option in the android readycloud app doesn't worjk either.

This means that the only way to access the downloaded files is to use a file manager like x-plore (there are 1 or 2 others) to get into the directory and copy the files out to somewhere accessible.

This makes readycloud just about unusable. There is no known workaround for this.

It needs netgear to provide the most basic piece of functionality within the app, simply asking where to download the file to. But it seems netgear has no interest in supporting this software further?

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements