× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Transmission NT on RN6, can't add torrent via Remote GUI

brock_gonad
Aspirant

Transmission NT on RN6, can't add torrent via Remote GUI

Hi Guys - I'm bashing my head against the wall trying to get Transmission Remote GUI set up after migrating from OS4 to OS6. I've got Transmission NT installed, and it's working fine. Where I'm having troubles is with the Remote GUI - which I previously had working fine under OS4.

I've gotten as far as being able to connect Remote GUI to the daemon, but I error out when trying to add new torrents. The way it behaves suggests I'm trying to save into the wrong spot / some folder Transmission doesn't have permissions too - but I'm copy / pasting the paths in... In fact, existing torrents added via the web client work just fine with the same path I'm trying to hit.

I'm sure there's something basic like a backslash I'm missing, but would appreciate any pointers.

The error that I'm getting;

bad request.png

Here are my path mappings - which work when I click to browse to the folder to save to;

Path Mappings.png

And when I'm adding a torrent - the folder I'm trying to save to;

Add New Torrent.png

My Remote GUI login settings;

Remote GUI settings.png

And a snapshot from WinSCP showing the folder permissions that should be wide open;

Path Permissions.png

Message 1 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Transmission NT on RN6, can't add torrent via Remote GUI

Did you download the logs and look for a more verbose error message?

Message 2 of 10
brock_gonad
Aspirant

About the only thing I see in the HTTP log is a lot of this;

Mar 29 17:10:58 ReadyNAS apache2[6201]: [error] (70007)The timeout specified has expired: proxy: prefetch request body failed to 127.0.0.1:9201 (127.0.0.1) from 192.168.60.10 ()

Are there any other logs that may shed more light?

Message 3 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Try looking in \\nas-ip-address\data\.apps\nastools-transmission\rpc with NAS admin credentials via windows explorer.

If your volume name isn't data, then change the path to include your volume name.

Message 4 of 10
brock_gonad
Aspirant

Thanks for that. Here's how Windows sees the mounts;

folder tree.png

And here's how my volumes are set up as seen by WinSCP. Not using X-Raid. Two hard drives, each their own volume. I've got my shares on the WD_Blue_6TB volume. I'm trying to save into WD_6TB_Blue/Media/Downloads. As you can see above, it's weird that I'm able to start torrents to this folder just fine, but only when I do it from the web remote, but not the Remote GUI app.

winscp folder tree.png

Thanks again for any help.

Message 5 of 10
bedlam1
Prodigy

@brock_gonad is Port 443 the correct one?, shouldn't it be something like 8080, 8181 or whatever 

Message 6 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Did you look in WD_Blue_6B/.apps?

Message 7 of 10
brock_gonad
Aspirant

@bedlam1wrote:

@brock_gonad is Port 443 the correct one?, shouldn't it be something like 8080, 8181 or whatever 

Yeah, I thought it was weird too, but just following the directions of the developer himself as quoted here; Remote GUI Settings

Also odd is that settings.json has "rpc-port": 9201 in it?

Message 8 of 10
brock_gonad
Aspirant

@StephenBwrote:

Did you look in WD_Blue_6B/.apps?

Yeah - I can get there just fine with WinSCP. That's the default Downloads folder, but not the one I'm hoping to hit. If I try that full path from the remote GUI it doesn't work either. Aside from trying to hit a non-default Downloads folder, everything else is standard install.

apps.png

Message 9 of 10
brock_gonad
Aspirant

Well - time to close off my own thread. I got it working, but I'm not 100% sure how. I didn't make any significant changes - I was just trying the same path as shown in OP and it started working. My only theory at this point is that cutting / pasting the path from one place or another... I dunno, trailing space that I can't see or something. All I know is that the path looks exactly like it does in OP, except now it works.

I don't know what's worse - having it broken, or not having the satisfaction of knowing how it was fixed! Thanks for the help.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements