× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

power fails on NetGear ReadyNAS 104

giozambu
Aspirant

power fails on NetGear ReadyNAS 104

Hello,

RN 104 powersupply seems to be dead. connecting power supply, device starts for a quick moment, with Welcome message, and then it shutdown. if i do not remove powersupply, it continues to startup and shutdown. if i remove disks, it boot up normally, so it seems a powersupply failure. 

if i buy Netgear RN42400-100NES, and insert disks, new NAS can retrieves RAID configuration and let me access to data?

thanks

Giorgio

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: power fails on NetGear ReadyNAS 104

Assuming the volume was not damaged when the unit was running with the bad power supply (usually a good assumption), you can just swap the volume into another NAS running OS6.  It is recommended, but not absolutely necessary, that the version of the OS in the new unit be the same or newer than that of the old.  But good luck finding a new ReadyNAS for sale.

Replacement power supplies (non-Netgear) are available, but upgrading to a more powerful NAS will definately gain you more.

Message 2 of 5
giozambu
Aspirant

@Sandshark thanks.

from Configuration guide I found this step:

To configure the storage system:
1. Install all available disks that you want to use in your system
ReadyNAS.
Note: If you are using previously formatted discs containing
data, it must be reformatted before continuing. To consult
Reformatting Disks on page 12.
For a complete list of supported discs, see the List of
compatible hardware at netgear.com/readynas-hcl.
For information on installing disks, see the manual for
your system hardware or visit the website
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLiu0VeXd-Y

i'm little worry about note... if my drives are from a RAID configuration, that step will be applied? 

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@giozambu wrote:

from Configuration guide I found this step:

No, it's much simpler than that.Just put your disks in the RN424 (ideally preserving slot order) and power it up.  The boot loader will take care of the rest.

If you have apps installed on the RN104, they likely will need to be reinstalled.  The boot loader takes care of the arm->x86 conversion for the OS, but it can't do that for the apps.

FWIW, if you have a spare disk, I suggest installing that first, and upgrading the firmware if needed.  If the RN424 is used, it is worth testing it a bit (including making sure it boots with the disk in each slot).

When down, just power down and migrate the disks. 

Message 4 of 5
giozambu
Aspirant

Hello @StephenB 

thanks a lo t for your support.

i have order the new one.

once i have it, i'll test and let you know

thanks

have a nice day

Giorgio

Message 5 of 5