× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Disk failure when adding 2 new drives .

Mattivdp
Tutor

Disk failure when adding 2 new drives .

So i added 2 new ironwolf 8tb nas drives to my readynas .

While it was syncing a drive failed .

after a couple of days the drives were synced and i took out the bad drive but now i still get the message my volume is degraded .

I started a disk test but how do i get my volume back to redundant .

Schould i put in another NEW drive in the bay the failed drive came out ? Schouldnt it have made the data redundant again with the 2 new drives added ?

Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: Disk failure when adding 2 new drives .

@Mattivdp wrote:

So i added 2 new ironwolf 8tb nas drives to my readynas .

While it was syncing a drive failed .

after a couple of days the drives were synced and i took out the bad drive but now i still get the message my volume is degraded .

I started a disk test but how do i get my volume back to redundant .

Schould i put in another NEW drive in the bay the failed drive came out ? Schouldnt it have made the data redundant again with the 2 new drives added ?

What RAID mode are you running?  I'm guessing RAID-6 (perhaps X-RAID with 8 or more drives)?  

It sounds like you now have an empty slot - is that correct?  If that is the case, then the NAS will report a degraded volume.  If that is the situation, you do need to fill the slot with a new drive.

Message 2 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

If the drive failure occurred after the second new drive started to sync, then the NAS had already configured the RAID to use that drive, it just needed to sync it.  So, with one drive now removed, you're a drive short of how it's configured, so not redundant.

Failure of a drive during sync is always a possibility since it puts so much strain on all the drives.  If you are using RAID5, then you are lucky you didn't lose the entire volume with that failure.

Message 3 of 6
Mattivdp
Tutor

yes it is raid 5 . ok so now i can lose all my data if it needs to sync again when i add yet another drive .

Well at least i still have all my data 

Message 4 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Mattivdp wrote:

yes it is raid 5 . ok so now i can lose all my data if it needs to sync again when i add yet another drive .

Well at least i still have all my data 

If the array is degraded because you now have an empty slot, then you do need to replace the drive that failed.

While RAID is useful tool, it isn't enough to keep your data safe.  So I recommend putting a backup plan in place for your NAS. 

Message 5 of 6
Mattivdp
Tutor

Yes i know , but i really dont plan on spending the money for a second nas as backup or something .

Its just home storage 🙂 

But thanks for the aswer i ordered another drive lets hope another doest dye whyle syncing

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements