× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: I own a ReadyNas pro 4 can it be updated to OS6.0?

sas326
Tutor

I own a ReadyNas pro 4 can it be updated to OS6.0?

Hi I have updated the memory to 2 GB  and disks on this old pro 4 it works ok 

I wanted to know if the OS can be updated and how to (valid links for bin files) and process (or in alternative if anyone could point to a service that does this update)

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

The steps are

(Optionally) make sure the latest BIOS is installed before you do the conversion.  To do this you install  http://www.readynas.com/download/addons/x86/4.2/BIOS_Update_Package_0.5-x86.bin as an add-on and reboot the NAS.  Do this after you backup the NAS.  This isn't necessary, but if you so want to update the bios it is easiest to do it prior to conversion

Basic instructions for the conversion itself are

1. BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP
  2. Upload PREPR4TOR6_0.1-x86.bin as an add-on using the ReadyNAS web gui, but do not reboot afterwards (avoids the need to do manual factory resets)
  3. Upload R4toR6_6.9.5.bin using the ReadyNAS web gui firmware update
  4. After you upload the addon+firmware and reboot, it will update the firmware and start a factory default.
  5. Go through the setup process on the converted NAS 
  6. Update the NAS to the current OS 6 (check for updates will work).
  7. Restore files from the backup.

Netgear won't provide paid support on a converted NAS, so that is one consideration.  There is a small risk that the process could fail, and if that were to happen it might not be possible to get the NAS running again.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
sharmy
Apprentice

Sure can!

Screenshot 2021-10-12 181655.jpgIn my environnment, the PRO 4 is a backup target (DR) for my 626X. 2GB RAM was a severe performance limiter. Works very well with 4 GB:

Screenshot 2021-10-12 182717.jpg

Take a look at this thread:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/OS6-now-works-on-x86-Legacy-WARNING... 

Hope this helps.

Sharmy.

Message 2 of 4
StephenB
Guru

The steps are

(Optionally) make sure the latest BIOS is installed before you do the conversion.  To do this you install  http://www.readynas.com/download/addons/x86/4.2/BIOS_Update_Package_0.5-x86.bin as an add-on and reboot the NAS.  Do this after you backup the NAS.  This isn't necessary, but if you so want to update the bios it is easiest to do it prior to conversion

Basic instructions for the conversion itself are

1. BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP
  2. Upload PREPR4TOR6_0.1-x86.bin as an add-on using the ReadyNAS web gui, but do not reboot afterwards (avoids the need to do manual factory resets)
  3. Upload R4toR6_6.9.5.bin using the ReadyNAS web gui firmware update
  4. After you upload the addon+firmware and reboot, it will update the firmware and start a factory default.
  5. Go through the setup process on the converted NAS 
  6. Update the NAS to the current OS 6 (check for updates will work).
  7. Restore files from the backup.

Netgear won't provide paid support on a converted NAS, so that is one consideration.  There is a small risk that the process could fail, and if that were to happen it might not be possible to get the NAS running again.

Message 3 of 4
sas326
Tutor

Screenshot 2021-10-15 214517.png

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements