× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

5GHz wi-fi only works with no security

knjb
Aspirant

5GHz wi-fi only works with no security

I recently purchased a used R8900 Nighthawk x10 on eBay, and I've tried just about everything I can think of to get the 5GHz wifi working. But, it will only connect successfully if I turn off the WPA/WPA2 security. The 2.4GHz connection works just fine with security, but anytime I attempt to connect to the 5GHz wifi (with security enabled), I get an error that "Wi-Fi does not have an IP address and cannot connect to the Internet" followed by "Wi-Fi has the self-assigned IP address 169.254.xxx.xxx and will not be able to connect to the Internet." When I look at the IP information it has the wrong subnet mask and no router information.

If I manually assign a correct IP, subnet mask, router, and DNS, everything appears to be connected, but there is still no internet connection, i.e. no webpages will load, can't connect to any router administration pages, etc.

I've tried reseting the router to factory defaults multiple times. I've tried reinstalling, downgrading, and even uploading custom third party firmwares (1.0.5.24, 1.0.5.18, and Voxel's 1.0.4.45.2HF firmware). I've also tried adjusting channel options, but nothing seems to allow me to connect to the 5GHz wifi connection if WPA/WPA2 security is enabled.

I've tested it on both my home and work networks with the same results. The router is in router mode behind an AT&T gateway. Any advice or additional things to try/test would be greatly appreciated. Or, if anyone knows that this is for sure a hardware issue instead of a software/settings issue, then I could at least contact eBay to try to get my money back for receiving defective hardware.

Thanks in advance!

Model: R8900|Nighthawk X10 AD7000 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
knjb
Aspirant

Re: 5GHz wi-fi only works with no security

To update the situation, I found all the information about uploading the firmware via TFTP while it's in the recovery state. I was able to successfully update the firmware that way, but it didn't resolve the issue.

So, at this point, I think it's safe to say that the hardware is just defective, and I'll try to get a refund. Thanks to everyone for the replies!

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Does it work in access point mode? 

ATt usually installs a modem/router combo device. 

Message 2 of 8
knjb
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply and suggestion! I gave it a shot, but unfortunately, it still has the same issue in both modes.
Message 3 of 8

Probably a silly question, it is so obvious and a part of using alternative firmware, but did you factory reset the thing?

You could also try the more severe, recovery reset.

• Press reset for 30 seconds
  • Keep pressing reset while removing power
  • Keep pressing reset for another 30 seconds while apply power

If that fails, you have probably discovered why this thing was for sale.

Message 4 of 8
knjb
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply! Yes, I've tried factory reseting the router many times, and I gave the recovery reset 3 tries as well. Each time with the recover reset, the power LED light just flashes endlessly until I turn the router off and back on.

I can see in the manual that:

• If the Power LED blinks slowly and continuously, the router firmware is corrupted. This can happen if a firmware upgrade is interrupted, or if the router detects a problem with the firmware. If the error persists, it is likely that a hardware problem exists.

I've tried reinstalling the firmware and switching firmwares after turning it back off and on, but does the blinking power LED mean that it's in recovery mode and that I should try installing a firmware somehow while it's in this state?

The manual just says to contact support for recovery instructions.

Message 5 of 8
knjb
Aspirant

To update the situation, I found all the information about uploading the firmware via TFTP while it's in the recovery state. I was able to successfully update the firmware that way, but it didn't resolve the issue.

So, at this point, I think it's safe to say that the hardware is just defective, and I'll try to get a refund. Thanks to everyone for the replies!

Message 6 of 8

You said earlier that you had tried TFTP. It looks like it failed, or you would not see this:

@knjb wrote:

Each time with the recover reset, the power LED light just flashes endlessly until I turn the router off and back on.

If the power LED is always flashing, your rescue attempts did not work.

Keep trying you get the power LED to stray on. It isn't clear to me that you ever achieved that.

Message 7 of 8

@knjb wrote:

So, at this point, I think it's safe to say that the hardware is just defective, and I'll try to get a refund.

Sounds like a reasonable conclusion.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7