× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AC1200 R6220 won't connect to wifi after factory reset

jerry_tiger
Aspirant

AC1200 R6220 won't connect to wifi after factory reset

Recently moved to a new apartment, had ISP change over service no problem. Wifi cut out the same night, ISP area outtage, fine. They fixed it within 24 hours, but my router stopped putting out wifi. Cycled power for both modem and router multiple times, checked with ISP, no problems on their end, said it must be the router. I factory reset the router. Instead of giving me the adjective/noun/number wifi name, it has defaulted to NETGEAR(number). It requires a WPA2 password, so I used the one provided on the device. No dice. It will not work. The router is connected to the modem, the modem has service, but I cannot connect to the wifi. I don't know how to find a factory reset device. I am using a Macbook Pro, so I cannot use a LAN connection. 

Is there another way I can access my routers wifi network? Or do I need to spend money and buy an adapter? 

Model: R6220|AC1200 Smart WiFi Router with External Antennas
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: AC1200 R6220 won't connect to wifi after factory reset

what modem/gateway is the router connected to?

What error does it give you when you try to connect to the wifi? (doesn't see ssid, connects but "no internet", refuses because of bad password, etc.)

Have you tried a phone/tablet to set it up?

Message 2 of 6
jerry_tiger
Aspirant

It's a EN2251 DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem, but according to ISP (and indicator lights on device), the modem is not the issue. I'm trying to connect to the router's wifi network. I've tried with my Macbook, my iPhone, even tried a LAN connection with an HP laptop. The wifi network is named NETGEAR44 and requires a WPA2 password. I have tried using the password on the device's sticker, but it does not work. 

Model: R6220|AC1200 Smart WiFi Router with External Antennas
Message 3 of 6
jerry_tiger
Aspirant

When I try to log into the router's wifi network, I get the message that the router has no IP address and is not connected to the internet.

Message 4 of 6
plemans
Guru

Try this. 

power off the modem and the router. 

Disconnect the coax from the modem and everything else from the router. 

Wait 2-5 minutes. 

connect coax back to the modem and power it on. 

Give it several minutes to fully boot. 

Connect the lan port on the modem to the wan port on the router. 

Power the router on. 

Wait several minutes for it to fully boot. 

Attempt setup. 

Message 5 of 6

@jerry_tiger wrote:

It's a EN2251 DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem, but according to ISP (and indicator lights on device), the modem is not the issue.

Never trust an ISP. It is in the business of passing the buck.

My money is on the answer that @plemans has suggested.

If that doesn't fix the problem,

What do the LEDs in the R6220 look like? What colour is the Internet LED?

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7