× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AC1750 router doesn't seem to support remote desktop.

jdcoburn
Aspirant

AC1750 router doesn't seem to support remote desktop.

hi -i previously had at least 6 windows 10 computers using remote desktop among each of them. when i upgraded to the AC1750, after some fiddling i got all my network restored except remote desktop. none of the previous connections work. the connecting computer displays a message saying that remote desktop can not connect to the remote computer because it can't find it or the feature has been disabled in the remote computer. i've double checked every computer and the settings have not changed.

they are/were on the same workgroup (HOME). is there something in the router setup that needs to connect to the same workgroup?

Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: AC1750 router doesn't seem to support remote desktop.

when you changed routers, did the computers change IP addresses? 

did you have them set with reserved ip addresses in the old router and not the new? 

Message 2 of 7

Re: AC1750 router doesn't seem to support remote desktop.

@jdcoburn wrote:

hi -i previously had at least 6 windows 10 computers using remote desktop among each of them. when i upgraded to the AC1750,

What is this AC1750 router?

AC1750 is not a reliable guide to model number. Many devices come with an AC tag, but it is essentially a label that Netgear, and other brands, attach to hardware to describe wifi speeds.

Look at the label on the device for the model number.

after some fiddling i got all my network restored except remote desktop.

That's odd. Changing a router should not require much "fiddling around". It should be a case of rebooting the network in the right order and ensuring that the modem and router are working together.

Then again your description is thin on detail, so we don't know what you were doing. Telling is that might give some clues as to why you can't get whatever you mean by remote desktop. That's not a term that Netgear uses much. Does it use any particular software?

Message 3 of 7
jdcoburn
Aspirant

Re: AC1800 router doesn't seem to support remote desktop.

In no particular order - Microsoft uses the term "Remote Desktop" both in their Windows 10 literature and in reference to the application foiund in "Windows Accessories > Remote Desktop Connection". if Netgear is not familiar with the term, i would suggest they read up on what > 75% of their residential users are using (ie Windows 10). "Fiddling around" is a polite way of saying that this was not a drop in replacement. My previous network with 6 PC's configured with static IPs set up between 10 - 100, with the DHCP reserved block 101 to 140. The starter app set up through the phone made some assumptions about where the DHCP address block was and it did not match my original scheme. it took some research to figure out how to change it - hence "fiddling around". i can now go to the router at 192.168.1.1 and review my configuration.  it shows 29 devices at locations i expect. it also shows the device name for all the windows 10 devices next to the IP address. most are now assigned by DHCP but the router clearly sees the name of the device for each device regardless of whether it's an assigned static ip or a allocated DHCP.. Now when i try remote desktop, it will connect to 1 device provided i give it the IP address not the name (unlike previously when each device i wanted to connect to was accessible through either the IP address or its name.) no other device connects using remote desktop, regardless of whether i use the device name or the IP address. i would be tempted to say that it's related to the redirect of the DHCP reserved addresses but the one that works is at 192.168.1.134..All devices function normally except for the remote desktop connection. all devices have been rebooted several times and their configuration checked for remote desktop access.

Message 4 of 7

Sorry. I can't read that. I find the return key very helpful

I am sure that Netgear is familiar with Windows "Remote Desktop" but it is one of those generic terms that could mean many things.

Had you said "Windows Remote Desktop"  –  the capital letters are also clue – the message might have been clearer.

We still have no idea what router you are fiddling around with. I can't find any Netgear router that has AC1800 wifi technology. AC1600, AC1900 and various ACXXXX yes, but no AC1800.

Try reading the label on the thing:

model number

Message 5 of 7
jdcoburn
Aspirant

Since you are obviously not a Netgear employee and have provided no useful information - please do not reply to any future posting from me.

Message 6 of 7

You should know that this community is essentially a user-to-user venue with some input from a small band of Netgear techies.

Most of the answers come from fellow users who have no connection with Netgear. They just have a lot of collective experience and are familiar with the sort of problems that turn up here.

If you want "official" support then you should go through the right channels.

Contact Us | Support | NETGEAR

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7