× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Add device to 2.4Ghz

WyzeInstall
Aspirant

Add device to 2.4Ghz

I'm trying to add a Wyze Cam Pan v2 (indoor security camera) to my AC1750 R6400, however the Wyze can only connect to 2.4Ghz. How do I get the router to recognize the device - in non technical terminology, please?

Message 1 of 29
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Add device to 2.4Ghz

I Connected a Wyze pan cam by following the directions. Paid no attention to anything regarding "which frequency". Smartphone app creates QR code. Show QR code to camera. Done. 

Message 2 of 29
WyzeInstall
Aspirant

Unfortunately, the camera keeps telling me that it can't connect to the local network and the phone app states "Connection failed. 5G networks are not supported. Please select a different WiFi network." I'm not sure what else to try, except trying to set it up in the router.

Message 3 of 29
CrimpOn
Guru

Which step in the setup fails?

https://support.wyze.com/hc/en-us/articles/4406722079003-Wyze-Cam-Pan-v2-Setup-Guide 

Orbi models use the same WiFi SSID/password for both 2.4G and 5G networks.  The camera has no 5G radio, so it cannot detect or attempt to connect to 5G.

As entertainment, I got an app that "reads" QR codes.  The code that gets shown to the camera simply contains the SSID and password of the network.  Nothing about "which G" the network is.

Message 4 of 29
WyzeInstall
Aspirant

Between steps 10 & 11. I just tried it again and got the same messages as earlier.

Message 5 of 29
CrimpOn
Guru

(Senior moment.  Sorry.)  Just read the first post again. This router is a Netgear Nighthawk R6400. Unlike the Orbi product line, where both 2.4G and 5G WiFi have exactly the same SSID/password,   Page 118 of the R6400 user manual describes how the WiFi SSID for 2.4G and 5G are defined:

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R6400/R6400_UM_07Aug2015.pdf 

When doing this setup, is the smartphone connected to the R6400 2.4G channel?

Message 6 of 29
WyzeInstall
Aspirant

Right now, the router setting for 2.4Ghz is set to channel 11. The phone is an iPhone12 and I don't see anything in Wi-Fi settings where I can set it to 2.4Ghz - the phone is connected to 5Ghz.

Message 7 of 29
CrimpOn
Guru

The key question is "does the R6400 use exactly the same SSID for both 2.4G and 5G WiFi?"  Prior to the "mesh" systems, it was common for customers to set the two frequency channels to different names (SSIDs)

Message 8 of 29
WyzeInstall
Aspirant

No. The 2.4 is named "Netgear12". The 5 is named "Netgear12-5G".

In the router, I unchecked the box "Enable SSID Broadcast" on the 5G setting in the router and clicked "Apply".
I then selected the 2.4 Ghz option ("Netgear12") on the phone and got a "No Internet Connection" error.

Message 9 of 29
CrimpOn
Guru

Since the camera cannot possibly detect the 5G signal, nothing needs to be done to the 5G WiFi.  Leave it on.

The key is that the phone needs to be connected to that Netgear12 WiFi.

How about:

• (temporarily) uncheck any option to "Connect Automatically" on the phone.
  • Turn off WiFi on the phone.
  • Turn WiFi back on.
  • Select the Netgear12.
  • Connect.
  • It is common for WiFi devices to claim "no internet" for a short time upon connection.
  • Once Internet connection becomes available, do the camera setup.
  • After the camera is working, reverse the process and this time set the "Connect Automatically" on the 5G WiFi.

Message 10 of 29
WyzeInstall
Aspirant

I re-booted the router and have the phone connected via the 2.4Ghz connection, but now the Wyze app doesn't connect to the internet.

Message 11 of 29
CrimpOn
Guru

Do any other apps on the phone connect to the internet?

Message 12 of 29
WyzeInstall
Aspirant

I can't maintain a connection on 2.4Ghz. It says I have it, but a speed test won't work.

Message 13 of 29
WyzeInstall
Aspirant

I re-booted the modem and the router and nothing changed.

Message 14 of 29
CrimpOn
Guru

Well, fudge.  Does the management console of the R6400 show any devices connected to the 2.4G channel besides the phone?  The rest of them are working correctly?

This is very puzzling.  I have three Wyze cameras connected to my systems and they were probably the easiest cameras that I have set up.

Message 15 of 29
WyzeInstall
Aspirant

Yes, my computer (wired), phone, and Firestick all show up correctly and connected to 5G. I would like to think that this something fairly simple, but has frustrated me for 3 days.

Message 16 of 29
CrimpOn
Guru

Nothing else connected to the 2.4G WiFi channel.  Geez.  I know zero about troubleshooting Nighthawk routers.

Message 17 of 29
WyzeInstall
Aspirant

Absolutely nothing.

WyzeInstall_0-1668475034039.png

Message 18 of 29
CrimpOn
Guru

Admitting failure would not be so painful, except that I fail so often.  Maybe one of the more experienced forum members has a solution: @plemans  @FURRYe38 @ekhalil 

Message 19 of 29
plemans
Guru

Is your IOS device using private mac/ip address or icloud relay? I've seen them cause issues setting up IoT devices. 

So if the iphone is on the 2.4ghz, make sure those are disabled prior to running through setup. 

what modem/gateway is the router connected to?

Message 20 of 29
WyzeInstall
Aspirant

I'm not sure about the phone setting, but here is a screenshot of it

WyzeInstall_0-1668511719961.png

The modem is a Netgear CM400.

Message 21 of 29
plemans
Guru

On that page, private ip address is enabled. Make sure to disable it. Also disable any icloud relay or private mac info. I don't have mac/ios to help you but google is your friend in that. 

Message 22 of 29
WyzeInstall
Aspirant

I just tried it twice and it refuses to connect to 2.4Ghz.

Message 23 of 29
plemans
Guru

tried what twice? 

details are key. the more brief you are, the less we can help. 

What error does it give you? 

Message 24 of 29
WyzeInstall
Aspirant

From 2.4Ghz, I disabled (switched off) the private IP address on the phone. I don't have a subscription to iCloud relay, so there was no option to disable it. I waited two minutes and then tried to connect to the internet, which failed - the QR code never came up on the phone, because it couldn't connect to the internet. I waited another two to three minutes and repeated the same process and got the same result.

I also tried this: https://support.wyze.com/hc/en-us/articles/360031481351 rebooted the router and modem, waited five minutes and never got an internet connection.

I went through this process as well: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204051 rebooted the router and modem, waited well over five minutes and never got an internet connection.

Question: Can I move far enough away from the router to force a 2.4Ghz connection or do I need a specific phone / router combination for it to work? This was something I saw on an Apple help site.
Message 25 of 29
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 28 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7