× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't connect to downstream access points (R6400, R6400v2, etc)

JimBland
Aspirant

Can't connect to downstream access points (R6400, R6400v2, etc)

Back in the days of old firmware, I could connect to all my access points (I have 4) by entering the IP address found in connected devices shown in my first (wireless not enabled) R6400. I use this router as an access point (connected directly to my computer) to provide 4 wired ethernet connections for devices. One of the devices is my R6400v2, which I use as my main wireless access point. Another port goes to my 2nd wireless access point. The 3rd port connects to my Nighthawk router.

Now, after many firmware updates, I can no longer connect through my primary Access Point (R6400) to any of the downstream access points using the IP addresses from the connected devices listing. Also, I no longer see the wired attachments connected to the other Access Points (I used to have a long listing of all of devices on the network).

What could I do to regain this functionality?

Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions

Re: Can't connect to downstream access points (R6400, R6400v2, etc)

@JimBland wrote:

As stated earlier, my network has worked well for at least 2 years as it is now configured - only the ability to log on to each individual access point has changed.

A network that worked without problems for years can suddenly go bad because something changed. For example, if the firmware changed, the update process can reboot the device in a way that wiped out the old settings. Then when the router rebooted it tried to configure itself again to fit in with the modem/router.

That process may have proceeded just fine when you first set up the network, with the router noticing that you were trying to set it up behind a modem/gateway and creating the appropriate settings.

This time around it might not have been so lucky in trying to prevent conflicts.

Your choice, provide the details you were asked for, or persist with your belief that these details do not matter.

I can think of other possibilities, but in general you have provided confusing "clarifications" with those wonky IP addresses.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 12

All Replies
plemans
Guru

1. Are the other routers actually in access point mode? I've seen many people just connect them and say they're acting as an access point but not actually have access point mode enabled. 

2. can you see the routers/AP's on the connected devices list? If so, are they in the same IP range or using a different ip range? 

Message 2 of 12
JimBland
Aspirant

Hello:

All routers are in access point mode and show up with unique IP addresses. The problem is I cannot connect to the routers via their IP address on the network using a browser and the IP address (eg: 192.168.1.8).

Message 3 of 12
plemans
Guru

Right. I more meant if its the same ip range as the router. so if the router is handing out 192.168.1.* addresses, that they're in that range. 

Message 4 of 12
JimBland
Aspirant

Hello:

Yes, all of the IP addresses are the standard range (the next router downstream is 192.168.0.8). I try to access the router and it just times out. It would be great if I could use RouterLogin directed at the other AP's address, but I can only get it to work with the first access point (all other AP's are wired to this unit).

Message 5 of 12

@JimBland wrote:

Yes, all of the IP addresses are the standard range (the next router downstream is 192.168.0.8). I try to access the router and it just times out.

That's not usual. Modem/routers usually squat in the 192.168.0.X zone. By default routers like the R6400 opt for 192.168.1.X. Maybe you changed it.

Any other routers (in router mode) on your network?

What about the modem/gateway in front of it?

Message 6 of 12
plemans
Guru

You also put in a prior comment that it was in the 192.168.1.* range and then the next in the 192.168.0.1 spec. 

So which is it? 

They need to be in the same range. So if the primary router is 192.168.0.1 then the other AP's should be in the 192.168.0.** range. 

Message 7 of 12
JimBland
Aspirant

The gateway is a Arris cable modem and feeds directly to the R6400. The other three access points are all in wireless AP mode. I have no trouble connecting to the R6400, and the wireless AP's running off the R6400 all work fine - It's just that I can't check firmware updates, etc. on the wireless AP's via the R6400. I used to be able to get the address of the connected devices, enter them via the R6400 assigned address with my browser, log in to that particular AP and do anything I like. 

Message 8 of 12

@JimBland wrote:

The gateway is a Arris cable modem and feeds directly to the R6400.

Arris is a brand name. It makes many devices, including "cable modems that also do wifi. These "gateways" are modem routers. They do not play nicely with routers like the R6400.

And the questions from @plemans?

Your answers just  might be useful. If only to rule things out and reduce the number of messages you have to write to get helpl.

Message 9 of 12
JimBland
Aspirant

I used to be able to log in to every Access Point, at least until I added the Nighthawk - never could connect to that through the network and had to use the Genie App to set it up. Through multiple firmware updates, I eventually lost the ability to connect directly to the other 2 access points as well. As stated earlier, my network has worked well for at least 2 years as it is now configured - only the ability to log on to each individual access point has changed.

Message 10 of 12

@JimBland wrote:

As stated earlier, my network has worked well for at least 2 years as it is now configured - only the ability to log on to each individual access point has changed.

A network that worked without problems for years can suddenly go bad because something changed. For example, if the firmware changed, the update process can reboot the device in a way that wiped out the old settings. Then when the router rebooted it tried to configure itself again to fit in with the modem/router.

That process may have proceeded just fine when you first set up the network, with the router noticing that you were trying to set it up behind a modem/gateway and creating the appropriate settings.

This time around it might not have been so lucky in trying to prevent conflicts.

Your choice, provide the details you were asked for, or persist with your belief that these details do not matter.

I can think of other possibilities, but in general you have provided confusing "clarifications" with those wonky IP addresses.

Message 11 of 12
JimBland
Aspirant

Thanks for your suggestions. Everything works as it is and the IP addresses all seem normal. I can access the routers by plugging into them individually with a laptop. I'll figure it out eventually.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7