× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't log into my router, incorrect password

CorvieBat
Aspirant

Can't log into my router, incorrect password

I'm having trouble logging into my router, every time it gives me an error saying my password is incorrect. Every time I go to log in on my browser on my computer, it doesn't even indicate it's connected to my router. I can't change the password anywhere and I already tired factor resetting it and it didn't do anything to fix it.

Message 1 of 17

Re: Can't log into my router, incorrect password

@CorvieBat wrote:

I'm having trouble logging into my router, every time it gives me an error saying my password is incorrect.

Is this with a web browser and the graphical user interface (GUI)?

What address are you using?

How do I log in to my NETGEAR wireless router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Every time I go to log in on my browser on my computer, it doesn't even indicate it's connected to my router.

I don't follow that. How is it any different from the first sentence?

I can't change the password anywhere and I already tired factor resetting it and it didn't do anything to fix it.

What happens when you reset and aim the browser at the router?

What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". There may be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

If there is one it might also help if you told people the make and model number of the modem/gateway/ONT that sits between this router and the Internet. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

I ask because a lot of people turn up here trying to put a router behind a modem that is also a router. That can complicate troubleshooting.

Message 2 of 17
CorvieBat
Aspirant

I used both the routerlogin.net and routerlogin.com on my web browser. I've tried Oprea GX, Edge, Chrome, and Firefox and nothing prompted me to log into and it doesn't give me the option to change my password.

@michaelkenward I don't follow that. How is it any different from the first sentence?

I meant more that it wasn't showing any interface that would allow me to change my password. Apologies I was very upset last night.

I'm unsure what firmware it's on right now as I don't know how to check it.

You're indicating that it's a second router yes? Which it is, it's not my primary router as I have another router that is my main router which is an Arris router, model number for it is a NVG4688MQ. It does have LAN Ports on the back.

Message 3 of 17

@CorvieBat wrote:

You're indicating that it's a second router yes? Which it is, it's not my primary router as I have another router that is my main router which is an Arris router, model number for it is a NVG4688MQ. It does have LAN Ports on the back.

Trouble waiting to happen.

That model number leaves Mr Google baffled. No results.

But your description suggests that you are piling router on router. Bad idea.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local problems with address on your network. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual default IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Unless you have specific reasons for using two routers – to create two separate networks for example – it is often easier to use just one router and then to set up the second router as a wifi access point (AP) with a wired connection to the main router. Netgear advises this, as does just about every site you will visit.

But that has its own drawbacks:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Most of that stuff then ends up in the hands of your main router.

Would that prevent you from using the R6400 to do anything important?

Message 4 of 17
CorvieBat
Aspirant

Main reason why I'm using this is because my main router would not reach a certain area of the house and using a wifi extender never worked well for me as I had connection issues. I do not pay for my internet as this is more my parents paying for it. The Arris Router is a Frontier Issued router which does include a modem built in it. The router still works fine as I'm using it right now on my pc and my mobile devices still work. It's just that I can't log into the control panel on my phone either. Using an iPhone 11 with iOS 17.

The only reason why we have this router is because my parents also pay for cable. Wifi signal was never good in my area of the house so that's why I bought another router. If they were just paying for internet then we could've used two of the same router.

Message 5 of 17

@CorvieBat wrote:

Main reason why I'm using this is because my main router would not reach a certain area of the house and using a wifi extender never worked well for me as I had connection issues.

If the R6400 is wired to the main router, just put it into access point mode:

How do I change my NETGEAR router to AP mode? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

If you are playing with "bridge mode", with a wifi link between the two, then you need to reconfigure the R6400 as your reset will have put it back into router mode.

It's just that I can't log into the control panel on my phone either. Using an iPhone 11 with iOS 17.

Is that logging into the R6400?

Two things to bear in mind, in AP mode you have to track down the IP address that the router has assigned to it, and put that onto a browser. Look in the router for its list of "attached devices".

Secondly Apple issues bring up this:

NETGEAR Mobile Applications and Apple Devices FAQ - NETGEAR Communities

Message 6 of 17
CorvieBat
Aspirant

I tried looking on my router settings and I can't even find which one it is, never was a fan of this router. All of this for a password not working to login lol. I might have to get a new router at this point, probably a new main router.

Message 7 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Wire connect a PC to the router and factory reset the router using the back push pin button. Hold it in for 10 seconds then let go. Then log in to routerlogin.com or 192.168.1.1 using a wired PC and web browser and walk thru the setup wizard. Be sure write down all important information for safe keeping later on.
https://kb.netgear.com/9665/How-do-I-perform-a-factory-reset-on-my-NETGEAR-router

https://kb.netgear.com/22697/How-do-I-install-my-NETGEAR-router-using-the-router-web-interface

Message 8 of 17
CorvieBat
Aspirant

I've tried both methods, nothing worked liked I mentioned in my earlier replies.

Message 9 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

So with the Router disconnected from everything accept one wired PC and pressing the reset button for 10 seconds and release, giving 1 minute, does the wired PC not get a 192.168.1.something address and you can't get anything to pull up in a web browser at 192.168.1.1? 

Message 10 of 17
CorvieBat
Aspirant

Nothing really. I mentioned earlier it's not my primary router so that might be why. Even so I can't even access the router in the control panel because the password is incorrect.

Message 11 of 17

Control panel?

Message 12 of 17
CorvieBat
Aspirant

To access my router? I can't log into the app or on my browser is what I been saying.

Message 13 of 17

You have a Netgear router attached to another Arris Router. (There may even be another one if you have a modem-router connecting the Arris to the Internet.)

I have already explained what that means.

Re: Can't log into my router, incorrect password - NETGEAR Communities

This means that your usual login addresses for the R6400 are unlikely to work.

Tracking down its IP address may not be that easy. The wifi connection through it would be a start.

Or, the most obvious move:

How do I change my NETGEAR router to AP mode? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

If you need more help in achieving that, just ask.

Unfortunately, @FURRYe38 seems to have missed the extra router on your network, so you are getting misleading advice that, as you have found, will not work.

Message 14 of 17
CorvieBat
Aspirant

I’m aware yes. My NETGEAR router is not connected to my Arris router via wifi, it’s connected via an Ethernet cable.

I can’t change it to AP mode if I can’t log into it is the thing, because the article tells me I need to log into it.

I can use all the help I need at this point. Getting to frustrating.
Message 15 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

So if you disconnect the NG router from everything, have one wired PC connected to the LAN port in back, press the reset button for 15 seconds, then release, give a minute, open a web browser to 192.168.1.1, does anything appear in the browser here at all? 

Message 16 of 17

@CorvieBat wrote:
I can’t change it to AP mode if I can’t log into it is the thing, because the article tells me I need to log into it.

If you can track down the IP address that it uses, then you should be able to get in, but if you can't do that, as @FURRYe38 says, an offline change would be better way in.

Your Arris router should have a list of "connected devices" with the Netgear router in there. If that doesn't work, then there is a chance that the R6400 saw the other router during setup and gave itself an alternative address, usually 10.0.0.1. If you have a browser connected to the wifi from the R6400 router, maybe it will get into the GUI.

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7