× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't login to 2 wifi routers configured as AP's by IP address

mike208
Aspirant

Can't login to 2 wifi routers configured as AP's by IP address

So I was having issues with a double NAT on my new xbox series X. I know enough about networking to be dangerous, but definitely don't know enough to do dumb things without checking first. So I tried to set the AP's(R6400 and R6400v2) in bridged mode as well(not sure this is actually necessary) but they completely stopped working when I did this. Had to reset both and now I can't connecto them by ip or routerlogin.net.

Oddly one won't even ping even though it shows in my ISP's routers device list and is sending out a wifi signal which I am able to connect to, so its working.

I do have, and read about, kaspersky messing with this. I was able to login fine with kaspersky running before the reset of the routers. I did uninstall kaspersky and test and still can't login. I've cleared my cache and tried 3 different browsers, all with no luck. What am I missing? I really need to be able to get to the web interface for these so I can change the signal strength so they aren't interferring with each other too much. Help!!!!

Message 1 of 5

Re: Can't login to 2 wifi routers configured as AP's by IP address

You've lost me on what is connected to what and how.

You have an R6400 and an R6400v2.

What sits in front of them? A modem of some sort? You say ISP's routers. What's that.

You don't want both R6400 and R6400v2 in AP mode.

You say they are in "bridged mode". That a term that gets widely abused and misused. Do you mean they are working as a wifi to wifi repeater?

Sounds like a complicated network.

Remember, when messing around with these things, you have to start the boxes in the correct order.

Modem > Router > Other bits

Leave time for each to connect before turning on the next one.

Message 2 of 5
mike208
Aspirant

Thanks for the response, I think I was able to fix this this mornign actually. Well I fixed the issue with being able to login to the AP's by IP.  Still not sure the cause of my double NAT, that prompted me to set the AP's to bridge mode.

So the setup is this. Fiber internet into ISP's(think its call a NID) modem/router. The ISP also has a residential gateway that can do wireless, but I have that shut off. Then I have the R6400 in the basement as a wireless AP, and the R6400V2 on the 2nd floor setup as a wireless AP. I reset the R6400 downstairs again today and can now login to it via IP. The R6400V2 upstairs even though the ISP's router reported it using 1 IP, it updated today to show its using a different IP. So I am not able to login to it via IP too. Although after a firmware update it appears they removed the option to adjust the wifi transmit power so that sucks.

As to my NAT troubles. My Xbox Series X says I have a double NAT and makes my NAT type moderate. I read this is caused by more than 1 device in the network doing NAT. Since my R6400's are set up as AP's I do not believe they are doing NAT correct? The ISP's modem/router/NID thing should be doing the NAT for the network. The ISP's residential gateway, only needed for them tomonitor the network/speeds apparently. Says its ISP protocol is IP_Bridged. I am hoping that means it is acting as a bridge and thus not doing any NAT. But something is affecting NAT on virtually all of my consoles, so I am at a loss

Message 3 of 5

@mike208 wrote:

As to my NAT troubles. My Xbox Series X says I have a double NAT and makes my NAT type moderate.

There's a lot of stuff here on Xbox. I'd start there.

Search - NETGEAR Communities – Xbox NAT

Message 4 of 5
antinode
Guru

> [...] Fiber internet into ISP's(think its call a NID) modem/router.
> The ISP also has a residential gateway that can do wireless, but I have
> that shut off. [...]

Is that two gizmos or one gizmo?  What, exactly, is connected to
what, exactly?

> [...] Since my R6400's are set up as AP's I do not believe they are
> doing NAT correct? [...]

Yes.  A wireless access point is effectively a network switch with
wireless capability.  No NAT.

> [...] The ISP's modem/router/NID thing should be doing the NAT for the
> network. The ISP's residential gateway, only needed for them tomonitor
> the network/speeds apparently. [...]

So, two different gizmos?  What are they?  Maker?  Model?  What,