× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cannot change security settings--revert back to old settings

pookie525
Aspirant

Cannot change security settings--revert back to old settings

Please be patient with me as I am not that great at this stuff.  I have updated my firmware to the latest version.  I currently have the security setting at WPA-PSK (TKIP) + WPA2-PSK (AES) and I was reading today that I should never have that.  I tried logging into the router to change it to just the WPA2-PSK (AES) option but when I go to do that and push apply, it automatically changes it right back to where it was.  I tried doing it several times and it always changes it back.  Please help me.  I don't want to have to buy a new router as this one is working great. 

I don't know if it matters or not but I am referring to the first band (the 2.4 Ghz one or whatever it is).  The second one is on WPA-PSK (AES) already.  If someone can please help me, I would really appreciate it.  Thank you.

Model: WNDR4500v2|N900 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
pookie525
Aspirant

Re: Cannot change security settings--revert back to old settings

I think I finally figured it out but thank you for your help.  I had to turn off all security, apply the settings, restart the router, and then go back and put the security on.  I read about people having similar issues and turning off the security temporarily seemed to correct the issue so I gave it a shot and it now showing up the correct security setting. 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello @pookie525

Welcome to the community!

It seems that it's not saving the settings correctly.

I suggest that you try to reflash the firmware of the router first.

You may download and follow the instructions here

After it successfully loaded the firmware, you may need to factory reset the router.

Factory reset will wipe out all the settings on the router and therefore you will need to reconfigure. 

See the link below on how to reconfigure the router. 

I cannot access the Internet with my NETGEAR router

Message 2 of 4
pookie525
Aspirant

I think I finally figured it out but thank you for your help.  I had to turn off all security, apply the settings, restart the router, and then go back and put the security on.  I read about people having similar issues and turning off the security temporarily seemed to correct the issue so I gave it a shot and it now showing up the correct security setting. 

Message 3 of 4
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

That's great news!

Thank you for the update. 

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements