× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Century Link C1100Z + Netgear R6300v2 smart ac 1750 router dual band

dmmurphy
Aspirant

Century Link C1100Z + Netgear R6300v2 smart ac 1750 router dual band

I am trying to get this new Netgear dual band router to work in tandem with my 2.4G Century Link C1100Z router

I am running Windows 10 OS

I hooked them together via ethernet cable and hooked into ethernet to the Netgear with my laptop

I brought up a browser and the routerlogin page allowed me to register the modem

My WPS button does not work on my C1100Z CL router so I had to manually connect to the Netgear networks created:  A 2G network was created on wifi channel 1 and a 5G was created on wifi channel 2.  Also appearing on channel one was my CL network.

I detached my laptop ethernet cable and was able to connect to the 2G network wirelessly.  I switched to channel 2 and was able to connect to the 5G network only it was working intermittently.  After about 10 minutes the 5G network along with wifi channel 2 completely deleted itself.

I downloaded the Netgear Genie ap and tried to add the 5G network back in from there but it did not transfer to my Windows list of networks available.

Other strange things:  Network Genie says I am clearly broadcasting wirelessly from the Netgear router on the 2G network, however, routerlogin.net says I can not log in because I am not connected wirelessly.

Does anyone know what's going on?  Do I need to eliminate the C1100Z router completely or just the Century Link network to allow the Netgear router to use its dual band features?  How do I upgrade to the latest firmware?

Model: R6300|Dual Band 11ac WiFi Router R6300
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
dmmurphy
Aspirant

Re: Century Link C1100Z + Netgear R6300v2 smart ac 1750 router dual band

I did not see the resolved button so I decided to reply to myself.  I am not network savvy so I don't know what to look for.  With 27 views to this point, I wonder why no one said anything.  A friend pointed out that because my laptop only has an 'n' rated network adapter, it decided to eliminate the wireless 5G connection to save me some confusion in the network list.  That did not mean that the router stopped broadcasting at 5G like I originally observed.  When I turned on my smart tv, there it was in the network list and I was able to connect to 5G, which was my ultimate goal.  The signal existed in the air but my laptop declined to see it.  This whole thing was complicated by the fact that I could not hook up with my Century Link router because the WPS button was not working.  I thought I had done something wrong with manual entry but apparently not.

View solution in original post

Model: R6300v2|AC1750 Dual Band Gigabit router
Message 2 of 2

All Replies
dmmurphy
Aspirant

Re: Century Link C1100Z + Netgear R6300v2 smart ac 1750 router dual band

I did not see the resolved button so I decided to reply to myself.  I am not network savvy so I don't know what to look for.  With 27 views to this point, I wonder why no one said anything.  A friend pointed out that because my laptop only has an 'n' rated network adapter, it decided to eliminate the wireless 5G connection to save me some confusion in the network list.  That did not mean that the router stopped broadcasting at 5G like I originally observed.  When I turned on my smart tv, there it was in the network list and I was able to connect to 5G, which was my ultimate goal.  The signal existed in the air but my laptop declined to see it.  This whole thing was complicated by the fact that I could not hook up with my Century Link router because the WPS button was not working.  I thought I had done something wrong with manual entry but apparently not.

Model: R6300v2|AC1750 Dual Band Gigabit router
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7