× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

D6400 Lan Setup - address reservation

Mike744
Aspirant

D6400 Lan Setup - address reservation

After using the address reservation for renameing most of the hard to figure out names that are sent out by devices especially android devices and using fixed IP addresses, I noticed in the attached devices that the device names did not change but the reserved ip addresses do work. In my old Netgear router/modem DGND4000, it changed the names. What's up?

Model: D6400|AC1600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router?802.11ac Dual Band Gigabit
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions

Re: D6400 Lan Setup - address reservation

@Mike744 wrote:

I also had to update each one by one from version 74.

Something wrong there. You should be able to jump all the way to the latest. The D6400 has never had a major change that requires an intermediate update.

Did you reset the router to factory settings after the firmware flash?

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So while it isn't guaranteed to fix problems a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have issues with new firmware.

This is a nuisance because you then have to reconfigure the device all over again.

You can backup your settings before you reset and restore them later. But that may just bring back the fault. Then again, at least you will know if the reset fixed the problem.

There is also a more drastic, "recovery reset":

• Press reset for 30 seconds
  • Keep pressing reset while removing power
  • Keep pressing reset for another 30 seconds while apply power

The factory reset is more a "witchcraft" move than a technically informed solution, but it does seem to fix problems, especially on the wifi front.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies

What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

Message 2 of 5
Mike744
Aspirant

I installed firmware version 88 manually as the automatic update kept showing "error:-1". I also had to update each one by one from version 74. I found them on the Netgear website under D6400. Each update was confirmed by displaying the correct version and I powered down and back one before loading the next version.

Message 3 of 5

@Mike744 wrote:

I also had to update each one by one from version 74.

Something wrong there. You should be able to jump all the way to the latest. The D6400 has never had a major change that requires an intermediate update.

Did you reset the router to factory settings after the firmware flash?

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So while it isn't guaranteed to fix problems a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have issues with new firmware.

This is a nuisance because you then have to reconfigure the device all over again.

You can backup your settings before you reset and restore them later. But that may just bring back the fault. Then again, at least you will know if the reset fixed the problem.

There is also a more drastic, "recovery reset":

• Press reset for 30 seconds
  • Keep pressing reset while removing power
  • Keep pressing reset for another 30 seconds while apply power

The factory reset is more a "witchcraft" move than a technically informed solution, but it does seem to fix problems, especially on the wifi front.

Message 4 of 5
Mike744
Aspirant

I never thought of resetting the router between firware updates since it was new out of the box. I am going out of town for a few weeks so I will give it a try when I come back and have a day to spend reconfiguring everything. Thanks

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7