× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

DGN2200 router limits attached devices to 15

papantonis
Aspirant

DGN2200 router limits attached devices to 15

I am using the DGN2200 router for the last 15 years without any major problem.

The problem I'm facing

Recently, I bought several smart devices to build up a smart home and realized the the router limits the number of attached devices to 15. The next device trying to connect to the router get an error and wouldn't connect(I have tried this with several different devices).

I know that it's an old router, but since this doesn't have any other problems, I thought that there must be a way to overcome this (according to docs that I found online, it should support by default at least 32 devices connected simultaneously).

Things that I have tried

1) Modify the Wifi channel (tried 1,6,11 since it's a 2.4Ghz router)

2) Upgrade firmware

3) Several reboots

Related threads

I have looked thourougly in the community and I found the threads #1 and #2 and #3 (they are related to newer versions of this router but I suppose that they all have the same problem). In all of these threads, either no solution was found or they were asked to contact the support (which I was not given the option to do since it's a not-supported product).

Any suggestions really appreciated

Router model: DGN2200

Firmware version: V1.0.0.60_7.0.57

Model: DGN2200v1|N300 Wireless ADSL2+ Modem Router|EOL
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: DGN2200 router limits attached devices to 15

You might try a factory reset. If this doesn't help any then it maybe time to retire this older modem and find something anew, or bridge the modem do that the rouer and wifi portions are disabled, continue to use the modem and install a newer generation Wifi router or wifi MESH system. 

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the DSL Modem products. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/DSL-Modems-Routers/bd-p/home-dsl-modems-routers

Please use this link to the main forum product list to review and choose where to make your posts. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Forum/ct-p/en-netgear

Thank you.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

You might try a factory reset. If this doesn't help any then it maybe time to retire this older modem and find something anew, or bridge the modem do that the rouer and wifi portions are disabled, continue to use the modem and install a newer generation Wifi router or wifi MESH system. 

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the DSL Modem products. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/DSL-Modems-Routers/bd-p/home-dsl-modems-routers

Please use this link to the main forum product list to review and choose where to make your posts. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Forum/ct-p/en-netgear

Thank you.

Message 2 of 6
plemans
Guru

Looks like that device was released in 2011. so its getting a big long in the tooth and was a pretty base model device at the time it was released. 

It might be time to look into upgrading both for performance and security benefits. 

It *should* support more devices than that but on a device that old, even if it could, I'm doubtful they'd function very well. 

and you're right in it being end of life. 

are you using dsl for it? 

Message 3 of 6
papantonis
Aspirant

@FURRYe38tried the factory reset with no luck, posted it in the other topic that you suggested just in case I get lucky.

@plemansyes I'm using dsl for it

I guess that you are both right that it's time to do an upgrade to a newer model Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 5 of 6

... thus taking us down the road to chaos.

Forgive me if I ignore this conversation.

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7