× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

DNS errors on network with multiple routers

Tobotimus
Aspirant

DNS errors on network with multiple routers

Hi,

I have my home network set up with a TP-Link Archer D7 Modem/Router at one end of the house and a Netgear WNR2000v5 Router at the other end. The Netgear is set up as an access point. On the Archer, I've set up the 5GHz network with a separate SSID to the 2.4GHz network. The Netgear only operates on 2.4GHz and has the same SSID as the Archer's 2.4GHz network. This is so I don't have to switch Wi-Fi networks when walking from one end of the house to the other.

There are some problems occuring with this setup. The main problem seems to be DNS problems on the 2.4GHz network. Some devices (usually mobiles), when connected to this network, will say they are connected to the internet but some websites cannot be reached due to a problem in the name resolution. Basically, the browser occasionally caches an incorrect IP address when looking it up in the DNS. On some other devices (usually laptops), it will connect to the network but 50% of the time it won't connect to the internet.

Recently, the latter error has been occuring with devices on the 5GHz Network. I have no idea what is causing that. 

How do I set up my network to prevent this issue?

Thanks, 

Toby

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: DNS errors on network with multiple routers

I would start over, re-set both to defaults. Make sure the 2.4 are not using same or overlapping channels. Do not use a back-up config. When using different devices with same SSID I suspect the mode or rates being different could be a problem.  Also netgears AP mode option has been known to cause problems. Try using it the old school way by turning off DHCP and connecting to lan port.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I would start over, re-set both to defaults. Make sure the 2.4 are not using same or overlapping channels. Do not use a back-up config. When using different devices with same SSID I suspect the mode or rates being different could be a problem.  Also netgears AP mode option has been known to cause problems. Try using it the old school way by turning off DHCP and connecting to lan port.

Message 2 of 5
Tobotimus
Aspirant

Thanks so much for your response.

The Archer and the Netgear are using channels 1 and 13 respectively, so that shouldn't be causing any problems.

Just a few questions, what do you mean by backup config, modes and rates?

I'm not so familiar with the "old school" way... Do I just connect the Netgear to the Archer by putting the ethernet cable into one of the LAN ports, log onto the Netgear via a browser and turn off DHCP?

Thanks again

Message 3 of 5
Retired_Member
Not applicable

backups are a file you can use to reload your settings   these will also reload a problem so they're not a good idea when trying to find a problem.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-basics/30338-how-to-convert-a-wireless-router-into-...

You're welcome good luck!

Message 4 of 5
Tobotimus
Aspirant

Thank you very much for your help, simply setting up the access point manually has seemingly solved the problem. NETGEAR really needs to fix their access point mode, as whenever a router is set up like this the firmware always encourages AP mode to be turned on, and it really seems to cause problems! Even when I had a NETGEAR modem/router as my main router, the AP mode on this extra router caused the same problems, so incompatability with TP-Link can't be blamed.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7