× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: DNS>PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN error since latest update

Winancy
Apprentice

DNS>PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN error since latest update

Model R6400, firmware v1.0.1.74_1.0.48, Windows 10, ethernet connection

Since I updated the firmware, I have been getting DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN errors when I open up browsers and go to webpages. Sometimes, after 2 seconds, the webpage will load, but sometimes I have to hit the reload button repeatedly, and sometimes nothing works. It's inconsistent. I also have two apps, weather and radar, that sometimes load and sometimes don't. 

I have:

Reset/flushed DNS

Reset Winsock

Turned off the computer

Rebooted the modem

Rebooted the router

Restarted the computer

Still getting the error.  Is it possible to update again, maybe something didn't go right the first time? Is it possible to use a prior firmware version that did work? Any other suggestions? 

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 170
Gamefan
Initiate

I'm getting the same thing as you since the update.  I'm about to buy another brand and throw this router down my apartments garbage shute.  This error is fustrating.

Message 2 of 170
Winancy
Apprentice

I guess I'm glad I'm not the only one, but it doesn't fix the problem! It's a pain having to smash the reload button to get a webpage to load. And then half the time, the pictures don't load. I can't log in to some of my sites. I'm trying to do everything on my phone, but I notice some glitches there too.
Message 3 of 170
antinode
Guru

> [...] Is it possible to use a prior firmware version that did work?
> [...]

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look
for Downloads.  (For older versions, under Firmware and Software
Downloads, look for "View Previous Versions".)  Find the kit(s).
Download the kit(s) you want.  Read the "Release Notes" file for
instructions.  (In the User Manual, look for "firmware", and,
especially, for a topic like "Manually Upload Firmware to the Router".)
When that fails because of a deficient User Manual, try:

https://kb.netgear.com/23960

Message 4 of 170
Winancy
Apprentice

@antinode  Thannk you so much for putting me in the right direction. I downloaded and installed the previous version 1.0.45. At frist, I was getting the same errors, then realized, I probably have to restart the computer. After I did that, everything is working just fine....so far. Fingers crossed!  Now, I just wait for the next firmware update and hope it will behave. 

Message 5 of 170
Winancy
Apprentice

Unfortunately, I spoke too soon.....

Not sure where to go from here....I downloaded and installed the previous firmware, which booted the router, then I restarted the computer, and it seemed to be ok for a few minutes and then the errors started all over again.  Factory reset??? Ugh. 

Message 6 of 170
Winancy
Apprentice

Using whatever the ISP provides.
I've shut down for the night, so I can't check until tomorrow.
But I did flush DNS and reset winsock again and all worked fine... For about 15 minutes, then it started all over again.
Haven't tried using a different DNS service. It should work with what I've been using for years, no?
Message 7 of 170
Winancy
Apprentice

My laptop has the same problem.
My phone does not.
Message 8 of 170
justanguser2
Tutor

I own both a r6400v2 and r6700v3, both updated to the latest firmware recently.  Each router is on a completely different ISP (comcast and frontier) but each router exhibited the same intermittent DNS errors 0101 = Reply code: Refused (5) .  There is little pattern to what is refused and why, it seems to be random causing web pages to be blank (when css files are not resolved etc).  Basically making the internet unusable.  

I backed both devices to previous firmware versions R6700v3-V1.0.4.106_10.0.80  and R6400v2-V1.0.4.106_10.0.80 which seems to have solved the problems.   So that means unless netgear fixes these issues we hit the wall on updates.   
Message 9 of 170
Winancy
Apprentice

@justanguser2 You listed the same previous update for both of your router models. Is that correct?
Unfortunately, it didn't fix my problem, although it's better. Most web pages load, though some get the error and within 2-3 seconds, will then load. Some graphic intensive websites end up looking wonky or the graphics won't load until I hit reload several times.
And as you say, it's not consistent. Everything works for a few minutes, then nothing loads, then everything loads with a delay.
Frustrating as I do some streaming broadcasts and this is making it impossible and glitchy.
Message 10 of 170
Winancy
Apprentice

@justanguser2   I just sat down to use the computer for the first time today. NOTHING would load. So, once again I flushed the DNS and reset Winsock and it is working again.  But if it's like the past few days, over time, it will deteriorate and I'll have to flush again. Clearly, this isn't right. I wonder how long we have to wait for another firmware update. I'm ready to just buy a new router. They aren't that expensive. 

Message 11 of 170
justanguser2
Tutor

Forgot to mention Firmware Version 1.0.4.118 is the firmware version that caused my issues with DNS on these two models.  And yes both 6400 and 6700 downloads page apparently release the same versions of firmware on both models because they are pretty much identical hardware except for age.  I run wireshark and capture port 53 packets to confirm DNS responses were fixed (cannot rely on browsers). 

Message 12 of 170
robjak
Luminary

R8300   Firmware Version  V1.0.2.154   AUTO ISP DNS Settings

Netgear broke something with this release.  Switching to cloudflare DNS fixes issue.  This router worked flawlessly for almost 2 years until this release. 

Model: R8300|Nighthawk X8 AC5000 Smart WiFi Router
Message 13 of 170
Winancy
Apprentice

@justanguser2 No idea what you said about Wireshark and packets. 😂
Confused because my R6400 latest update is as I stated in the original post, 1.0.4.48
Message 14 of 170
Winancy
Apprentice

My router has worked flawlessly for 5 years. Until this update.

What is cloudflare dns?
Message 15 of 170
robjak
Luminary

Cloudfare DNS   is  1.1.1.1  and 1.0.0.1   I switch  them on each client. Pain in the ass.  Netgear must fix   or time to move away from NETGEAR. 

Message 16 of 170
Winancy
Apprentice

Yeah I read about public DNS and switching, but it looked way too complicated for me.
I have really liked Netgear. Other routers I've had had many more problems and needed replacing every couple of years.
Message 17 of 170
Winancy
Apprentice

Found this website. I haven't tried everything they mention, only the flushing DNS and resetting winsock.
Message 18 of 170
robjak
Luminary

Rolling back to an older fw version with security flaws is not "solved".    

Message 19 of 170
Winancy
Apprentice

"Rolling back to an older fw version with security flaws is not "solved". "

And it didn't work for me. Still getting the same error.

Another question and please don't laugh.. If I buy a new router, not Netgear, give it the same SSID and password, will all my currently connected devices automatically connect to the new router?
Message 20 of 170
robjak
Luminary

@Winancy wrote:
"Rolling back to an older fw version with security flaws is not "solved". "

And it didn't work for me. Still getting the same error.

Roling back worked for me.   Have you rebooted,  or on your computer:
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /renew  

Another question and please don't laugh.. If I buy a new router, not Netgear, give it the same SSID and password, will all my currently connected devices automatically connect to the new router?

It should.

How many clients on you network.  if you assign DNS manually, it will work.  but if you have lot of clients then it sucks. 

Message 21 of 170
Winancy
Apprentice

" Have you rebooted, or on your computer:
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /renew"

Thank you! Releasing and renewing seems to have made it better. For the most part, most webpages will load, but still getting the nxdomain error on some, but reloading will bring up the webpage.

Annnnddddd.......after using the internet for 15 minutes, it's back to getting the nxdomain again on more websites. 

"How many clients on you network. "

Clients?

Message 22 of 170
robjak
Luminary

Different computers using the router.

Message 23 of 170
Winancy
Apprentice

1 desktop ethernet
1 laptop wifi
1 iPad
2 phones
Numerous smart devices
Message 24 of 170
robjak
Luminary

How much work to change the DNS settings on each.   Can you easily change the DNS on the smart devices? 

Message 25 of 170
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7