× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

DNS>PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN error since latest update

Buffo
Tutor

Re: DNS>PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN error since latest update

Just downgraded my R6700v3 from FW 1.04.118_10_0.90 to previous FW 1.0.4.106_10.0.80.   So far all my DNS issues have disappeared!!  I tried numerous "fixes" before downgradeing FW.   Netgear needs to fix this problem.

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 76 of 170
JonnieChimpo
Aspirant

Same issue as everyone else with V1.0.1.74_1.0.48. I haven't downgraded my firmware yet but probably will soon since it seems that Netgear has not acknowledged the problem and it seems like their support staff is going to go in circles reading their scripts on how to disable firewalls and blaming the ISP. Has anyone successfully and painfully gotten Netgear to escalate this issue?

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 77 of 170
Buffo
Tutor

I just called them about this issue and pleaded our case to the tech.   I told him to scan the forums and READ about all the same problems being fixed by downgrading FW.   I spent 20 minutes dancing around the finger pointing.   I hope he got the message.

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 78 of 170
Winancy
Apprentice

Netgear mentioned escalating but never did.
Don't bother rolling back to an earlier firmware version. It doesn't help. The DNS is broken.

I decided I no longer wanted to screw around and bought a new TP-Link router. While the DNS issue is gone, it doesn't seem as fast as the Netgear.
Message 79 of 170
robjak
Luminary

Rolling back firmware does work for most people but not all.  It does work for me.  

I finally came back from vacation and recieved an email from netgear about them calling me.  I told them that if they are going to call me to step me through reinstallation then i dont want what they are selling.    They stated that i would get a call from their engineers and we set up a time for thurday night. 

I put the crap FW back on the system and verified the DNS issues were still there.  Then I captured numerous DNS request refusals from the router using a packet sniffer.    I then waited for 3 hours and the call never came.  

NETGEAR SUCKS.  I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER NETGEAR PRODUCT AGAIN. 

I then switched back to older FW and the DNS issues disappeared.  

Model: R8300|Nighthawk X8 AC5000 Smart WiFi Router
Message 80 of 170
robjak
Luminary

After a month of bitching, some schedule problems, a couple of missed calls, I was finally was able to get Netgear the info they needed to troubleshoot the DNS issue.   Hopefully, they will now begin to really look into the DNS issue and fix the firmware.  

Message 81 of 170
Winancy
Apprentice

"Hopefully, they will now begin to really look into the DNS issue and fix the firmware."

Don't hold your breath
Message 82 of 170
Balimx
Initiate

Yes! if you have same SSID and password it should work without issue.

Message 83 of 170
Supertek2k16
Initiate

Netgear has made me go out and purchase another brand after this last, failed, useless firmware update on my R6400V2 wi-fi router.  It's not even listed on their drop down choice to talk about it.  Buh bye Netgear.  You suck, Bigly.  Firmware upgrade 1.0.4.118 is a disaster.  What a mess.  Not buying anything Netgear from now on.

Message 84 of 170
Winancy
Apprentice

@Supertek2k16 wrote:

Netgear has made me go out and purchase another brand after this last, failed, useless firmware update on my R6400V2 wi-fi router. 

What did you buy? I made the mistake of buying a TP-Link AX3000 and after one month, the WAN port on the router failed. My modem showed internet working, but the light that shows data transferring was out. After plugging the modem directly into the computer, the internet worked fine. When I went into the TP Link dashboard it said there was no WAN connection, when in fact, there was. Thank goodness I bought it on Amazon and it's still in the return window!!!

Message 85 of 170
robjak
Luminary

I have been contacted to test a fix  but I am a business trip and cannot download or flash the fix from engineering.  So for those waiting, there may be a fix coming out shortly. 

Message 86 of 170

@Supertek2k16 wrote:

Netgear has made me go out and purchase another brand ...

Was that at gunpoint?

Message 87 of 170
mkx
Tutor
Tutor

R6700v3 1.0.4.118_10.0.90 , same DNS issues.

Happens on multiple PC's and mobile devices.

This problem occurs on TWO R6700v3 routers on different locations and with multiple devices.

I have downgraded to the previous version 1.0.4.106_10.0.80 and it prectically fixes this but I still get those errors once in a while.

Message 88 of 170
olympos1625
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi mkx, 

We are sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you. We would like to endorse you to NETGEAR Level 2 support team for callback. Please provide the following information:

Name:

Email:

Phone:

Preferred schedule (atleast 2 days ahead)

Timezone:

Device S/N:

Alternatively, if you wish to be contacted via email only then kindly include your preferred email address.

I am looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Oliver

Community Team

Message 89 of 170
olympos1625
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Guys,

Were you all being contacted by our Support team already in regards to this issue with the latest firmware?

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you need further assistance. 

Regards,

Oliver

Community Team

Message 90 of 170
Berr
Aspirant

Hi Oliver,

Will there be a new firmware released soon to resolve the DNS fault in firmware v1.0.4.74?

It is evident from the many reports in the forum here, especially those from robjak that include precise technical information about the issue, that the cause of the DNS issue is a fault in the latest router firmware.

Based on the reports from other users of their time being wasted by the netgear support team I wouldn't really want to go through that. I hope a firmware update that fixes the issue will be released soon. Or if a special firmware release is needed to fix the mess for those that installed v1.0.4.74, please let me know about it!

In the meantime, we are surviving by setting DNS servers manually on our PCs. However this is clearly not a proper solution so we await a fix from Netgear, or will need to buy a new modem.

Message 91 of 170

@Berr wrote:

Hi Oliver,

Will there be a new firmware released soon to resolve the DNS fault in firmware v1.0.4.74?

If you read back through this lengthy discussion, you will see that this is exactly what the latest messages are all about.

Indeed, @robjak seems to have answered your question a few messages ago:

I have been contacted to test a fix but I am a business trip and cannot download or flash the fix from engineering. So for those waiting, there may be a fix coming out shortly.

This bug seems to have hit several different models. (You don't day which you own.) If you want to keep ahead of developments, you could watch the support pages for your router.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

That page will have any firmware for your device, including previous releases which some people have used as a temporary fix for this bug.

I suggest watching that because new firmware can arrive there before it lands on the update server. There may even be a hotfix which is sometimes an early release of new firmware that has yet to go through all the stages needed to prepare it for official release.

Message 92 of 170
robjak
Luminary

I have tested a FW fix for the R8300 that does fix the DNS problem.  in the past, i have been able to recreate the issue in seconds. I have tested this for 30 minutes with no problems.    Hopefully, this makes it to releasable FW soon. 

Message 93 of 170
mkx
Tutor
Tutor

It appears that there is a new firmware out Version 1.0.4.120 and it was pushed for update to the router.

First impression is that the DNS works better, but I still get the unresolved page from time to time and the pages do load after a wait of a couple of seconds..

This issue was not fully fixed.

*R6700v3

Message 94 of 170
Winancy
Apprentice

I didn't have patience to deal with this issue for over a month. I bought a new router. I probably should have kept the Netgear one but I was so disgusted, I threw it in the trash. It was 5 years old though, so it got plenty of use.
Message 95 of 170
robjak
Luminary

MKX,

DNS fixed FW has not yet been released. Hopefully in a few days.  

Message 96 of 170
anthonyss89
Initiate

Wow, read through everything, and sad thing is I feel like i am going to have to buy a new router which means i am going to have to port forward everything and set up IP reservations again. This blows, I have had netgear for everything for about 20 years and this dns probe bs is starting to annoy me, has any have an update to this? I tried every troubleshoot in the pervious comments but still have not had any luck. 

Message 97 of 170
rasty777
Guide

it works!

Message 98 of 170
robjak
Luminary

Anthony,

Fixes should be out soon.  Hopefully. 

Message 99 of 170
robjak
Luminary

Rasty,

I spent years running DD-WRT and got sick of how buggy it was.  I did try tomato for a bit,  but prefered DD-WRT interface at the time.  

Issue now is that Tomato does not run on my R8300.  

If I go away from NETGEAR for routing,  i would probably move to OPNSense on dedicated hardware and make my 8300 an AP.  Probably with be my geekout project after this hunting season. 

Message 100 of 170
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7