× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Desperately needs to recover N150 password

Dianamanwaring
Aspirant

Desperately needs to recover N150 password

I can't recover my netgear password.  I changed it recently and thought I wrote it down but can't find it.  I practically tore the house apart.  That little slip of paper is long gone.

My Android tablet is connected to the internet but I can't see the password in my settings page.  I can't get it through my laptop as I just spent hours going through a factory reset.

When the factory reset was finished, it took me to a page where it asked for my netgear password.  Hence my search for it.

I downloaded the netgear genie to my tablet but it won't let me have my password.  It gets stuck at the login page where you see the default settings.

Help!  I am tearing my hair out.......am very exhausted because of the hours spent on fixing my laptop, and to add insult to injury, I am now in desperate need of my password so I can finish setting up my laptop.  I am exhausted and it is nearly 4am.

Is there a way this can be fixed?  If not, I will be forced to go out and buy a new router.  I am very stressed out!

Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Desperately needs to recover N150 password, ps

Make sure you have your laptop directly connected to the NETGEAR router on one of its 4 ports.

Your modem should be connected to the port by itself.

Can you verify what is the IP address when you did the ipconfig?

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 12

All Replies
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Desperately needs to recover N150 password

It seems to me that what you are after is the WiFi passphrase and not the router admin login password, and the factory reset that you refer to was to the laptop and not the router?

If that’s the case then you could use your Android Tablet to access the router admin pages using a web browser. For a typical installation the IP address of the router will be 192.168.1.1, so you access the admin pages at http://192.168.1.1 If you have not changed the default router login details then they are user – admin / password – password. If you have changed the default password for the router admin then you need to know this to get any further.

If you can log in then go to the router wireless setup page, enter a new passphrase and write it down, I suggest you use something very simple until you are happy with the setup of the laptop and then change it again later. As soon as you apply the passphrase change the tablet will lose its connection to the router, you will need to re-enter the new passphrase in the tablet WiFi settings.

Alternatively you should be able to connect the laptop to the router using an Ethernet cable, you could use the cable that connects the router to the modem since you don’t need Internet access to set up the router. Connect one end to the laptop, and the other end to a router LAN port. Using the same http://192.168.1.1 address in a web browser you can change the WiFi passphrase. Again you will still need to change the passphrase at the tablet and any other WiFi devices you have.

Message 2 of 12
Dianamanwaring
Aspirant

Re: Desperately needs to recover N150 password

The factory reset was for the laptop.  Once it finished, I was asked for my WiFi password.  It was at that point I realized that I forgot it and tore through the house while looking for it.

After that I downloaded the Netgear Genie to my tablet but couldn't get it to work.  I was stuck at the login page where it had "admin" as the default option.  I thought that it was possible to log in by using "admin" as I could not remember my new password.

In addition, I tried going to "routerlogin.net," "router login.com," and the IP addy you mentioned.  None of those worked.  I can still go online with this tablet and hoped to find the password in "settings" but that didn't work either.

Message 3 of 12
Dianamanwaring
Aspirant

I forgot to mention that when I tried the web addys, it was with the tablet and not the laptop.  I'm not done setting up the laptop yet.   I was hoping to retrieve the WiFi password first.

Message 4 of 12
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Some Netgear routers will display the WiFi passphrase, and the Genie application may well help with this, but you need to know the administration password for the router. If you have forgotten/lost the router admin password then you have to factory reset the router and run through its setup again. Unless you have made lots of changes from the default settings then that might turn out to be the easiest option. After a factory reset of the router the login details will be as I posted above.

Message 5 of 12
Dianamanwaring
Aspirant

I took the Ethernet cable that was connected to the router and connected it to my laptop.  It said "unidentified network" and refused to let me proceed any further.

I am at a loss as to what to do.  I had to change the password to the router as I had concerns about a neighbor trying to use it.  A few months ago I had trouble getting my laptop, tablet and cell phone to connect to the WiFi.  I set up a guest network and everything was fine.  The other one never worked after that as it said something like "saved, secured wpa2.". I never found out why.

Did I screw up this thing to the point where it has to be tossed?  I just got the router last year.  So, for now I am still unable to finish setting up my laptop and am afraid that if I do a hard reset of the router, I won't be able to get online at all.

What a nightmare.

Message 6 of 12
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Did you try restarting your laptop after connecting the Ethernet cable?

If you are still getting "unidentified network", verify if your computer is set on static IP address.

You may want to see this instruction on how to set your laptop to obtain an IP address automatically.

After setting it to obtain, see this link on how to get into your admin page and verify your wireless settings.

Message 7 of 12
Dianamanwaring
Aspirant

I restarted the laptop.  I am now able to connect to the internet with the ethernet cable only.  My netgear router is not working at all.  I downloaded Netgear Genie to this laptop and it actually hindered my internet access.  It kept saying "internet disconnected" when it was really on and I was unable to access this forum.

So, I uninstalled Netgear Genie and the ethernet cable and restarted the laptop.  I am online again but cannot go wireless.  I am ready to tear my hair out at this point.  I never thought what should be a simple task would be so incredibly hard.

I am ready to junk this router and either get another one (different company) or just give up on using my own wifi.  Btw, I tried your link but it didn't work.  It won't let me go to my router's ip.  I have no idea why......have no idea what I am doing wrong.  I want to scream.

I would prefer to stick with this router but am in desperate need of help.  How can I get it working again?

Message 8 of 12
Dianamanwaring
Aspirant

Please......somebody help me!  Between the issues with my laptop and the router, I've been working on this over 24 hours with very little rest.  I am ready to drop.......am very stressed out and need help asap!  Routerlogin.net won't work.  Routerlogin.com won't work.  192.168.1.1 won't work.  192.168.0.1 won't work either.  Help me!

Message 9 of 12
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Make sure you have your laptop directly connected to the NETGEAR router on one of its 4 ports.

Your modem should be connected to the port by itself.

Can you verify what is the IP address when you did the ipconfig?

Message 10 of 12
Dianamanwaring
Aspirant

Perhaps I misunderstood the instructions you both gave me?  I didn't understand that I had to use an extra ethernet cable to connect the laptop to the router while the router was connected to the modem.

Got it fixed now.  Thanks!  Now I'm going to get some much needed rest!  

Message 11 of 12
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You're welcome.

Have a good rest!

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation