× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Disable wi-fi on C3700, but not ethernet ports

jrrisk
Tutor

Disable wi-fi on C3700, but not ethernet ports

I have my internet coming through my C3700 router, but due to the size of my home needed to set up a mesh network with 3 extender access points. When I did that, I now have three networks - the 2.4g, the 5g, and the mesh. My ISP suggested that I might want to disable the wi-fi on the 2.4g and 5g and only use the mesh to improve my connectivity. The tech said to make sure i do not disable my ports, but only the wi-fi. Can someone tell me how I actually do this or direct me to a resource, maybe a YouTuibe video that is simple and easy to understand. I am not tech savvy and have to call customer service to do almost anything related to computers. Even setting up a simple printer through the easy set-up guide did not work the way it was supposed to.

Thanks.

James

Model: C3700|N600 Cable Gateway Docsis 3.0
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
antinode
Guru

Re: Disable wi-fi on C3700, but not ethernet ports

> [...] C3700 [...]

C3700 or C3700v2?  Look for "Model" on the product label.

> [...] direct me to a resource, [...]

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your (actual) model number,
and look for Documentation.  Get the User Manual (at least).  Read.
Look for a topic like "Control the Wireless Radios".

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
antinode
Guru

> [...] C3700 [...]

C3700 or C3700v2?  Look for "Model" on the product label.

> [...] direct me to a resource, [...]

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your (actual) model number,
and look for Documentation.  Get the User Manual (at least).  Read.
Look for a topic like "Control the Wireless Radios".

Message 2 of 5
jrrisk
Tutor

Thank you. The model is a C3700. Not C3700v2.

My brother set up the router for me a few years ago and never left the user manual. Your link to the documentation and the section of the documentation was very helpful.

Thanks.

James

Model: C3700|N600 Cable Gateway Docsis 3.0
Message 3 of 5

@jrrisk wrote:

I have my internet coming through my C3700 router, but due to the size of my home needed to set up a mesh network with 3 extender access points.

The recommended solution to this challenge is to use the C3700 as a modem only (bridged) device. (See the manual.) This bypasses the router bit and turns off the wifi.

Then use the Mesh system as the router and access points.

The alternative is to use the C3700 a router and to put the Mesh in to wireless access point (AP) mode.

But not knowing what your Mesh system is, that's just a guess.

I assume that you have a proper Mesh setup. Simply slapping together a set of access points.is not a genuine Mesh system.

Message 4 of 5
jrrisk
Tutor

@michaelkenward wrote:

The recommended solution to this challenge is to use the C3700 as a modem only (bridged) device. (See the manual.) This bypasses the router bit and turns off the wifi.

Yes. This is correct. However, the wi-fi is not automatically turned off in a bridged set up. That had to be done manually. I did not have the manual available to manually turn the wi-fi off. Antinode provided a link to the manual as well as the specific sections to look at. This resolved the issue.

@michaelkenward wrote:

I assume that you have a proper Mesh setup. Simply slapping together a set of access points.is not a genuine Mesh system.

I set the Mesh system up according to the manual that came with that system. The first access point is plugged into the Netgear C3700 with an ethernet cable. The other two access points are connected wirelessly to the first.  

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7