× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Does Netgear send out firmware updates that you download for older products?

Jhakala
Aspirant

Does Netgear send out firmware updates that you download for older products?

Got an email for a firmware (modem) update, supposidly from Netgear.  Before I try it, I am wondering if it is ligit or if I would be opening my computer to thieves.

Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: Does Netgear send out firmware updates that you download for older products?

what device do you have ?

What firmware is currently on it? 

There's a support site with access to manuals, firmware, install guides, etc.
Go to https://www.netgear.com/support/
Type in your model number and from there it'll take you to the above.
Its a great resource to start with.

Message 2 of 6
Jhakala
Aspirant

Re: Does Netgear send out firmware updates that you download for older products?

I have an N600 Dual Band router

Model: Dual Band
Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

N600 is a speed, not a model. What model is it? And what firmware is on it?
Message 4 of 6
wcalifas
Prodigy

Its probably not from netgear, if you want to update your router just go to netgear.com under the support section and write your model number to see what is the latest firmware for your router.

Message 5 of 6

@Jhakala wrote:

Got an email for a firmware (modem) update, supposidly from Netgear. 

Netgear emails out occasional alerts about new firmware. They are linked to general marketing stuff and aren't tied to any particular update. So you may get one months after new firmware landed on the web site.

Then there are the crooks who claim to be Netgear and are no such thing. You can use your usual strategy to find out if they are genuine. Then take it from there.

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7