× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX6150v2 - incorrect password

EX6150v2 - incorrect password

I just got a new modem from CenturyLink. Set it up ok. Gave it a new password. Re-booted the extender (EX6150v2) and that seems to be ok. BUT when I try to connect on my phone, it keeps telling me "incorrect password"! So, I re-booted both the new modemand the extender andd the same thing happens!

I have tried the old, original password, the new password that I set up for the modem, the admin password from the modem, the Security Key from the new modem.

I am not technically savy at all. But when I first got the extender a few years ago, I set it up with no problems.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks!

glass-goddess

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: EX6150v2 - incorrect password

You can change the centurylink's ssid and password to whatever you prefer. 

https://www.centurylink.com/home/help/internet/modems-and-routers/wireless-setup/wireless-security.h...

you'd need to reinstall/change it on  the extender and device after changing it though. 

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Factory reset the extender. Push and hold reset for 7-15 seconds while its powered on. The lights will change/flash when held long enough. The reinstall using the installation assistant and NOT WPS.

Wps can cause issues with isp supplied devices (crappy coding). 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/EX6150v2.aspx

Message 2 of 8

HI

Thanks for your reply. I'm still having problems.This is the third day trying to get it to work.

To try to reinstall using the installation assistant... when I try to go thru the settings on my computer, and then go to "Show Available Networks", I get the 2 options for the extender. However, when I go to "Manage Known Networks", only the modem shows.  I then tried to connect thru the "Show Available Networks", it asks for the Security Key, which I entered, and it says not connected. It does not give me the option of a netgear connection.

Nothing accepts the new PW, except the modem.

I rebooted the extender a few times, but no luck connecting w/WPS.

Right now, the lights that are on the extender are:

- Router Link - solid green 

-WPS LED - solid green   (No other lights on except power.)

Should I just bite the bullet and get a new extender? 

I have a Ring Security Sysyem that needs an extender, so that is not working right now. Should I buy the one that Ring sells?

Should I move my router closer to the Ring system? Can the DSL connecter be plugged into ANY phone jack? Or is it now plugged in to a special one provided for a router? All this set up happened when we built my home in 2009.

THANKS!!!!!!!

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

take whatever device you're connecting to the extender and hardwire it in with the ethernet connection. Disable that device's wireless so it doesn't default back to the wireless connection during setup. 

then try setup using the installation assistant. This will ensure you're connected to the extender. 

you can factory reset it prior to setup (push and hold reset for 7-15 seconds while its powered on)

Message 4 of 8

Hi plemans

I just wrote you a message and it got deleted!!!!!  I guess I used web addresses too much or something.

Here's what I did: I used a netgear post about "How to configure my EX6150v2 in Access Point Mode" (I can't provide a link, but you can put this topic in a search if you want to see it.) I hooked up the extender directly into the modem via ethernet cord. I got as far as step 3&4. Using my settings (wifi), I got it to accept the -2G (can't connect), -5G (connected), and NG-ext (connected). At this point a set-up page was supposed to open, but did not. As a result, when I removed the ethernet cord from the extender, there is no longer a connection.

I don't think I can try your way. I am using a 2016 Dell desktop. It only has 1 ethernet port, which is being used for the modem. It is not wireless.

I think it's time for me to bite the bullet and get a new computer (I've been talking about this for months) and a new extender! I need the  extender for my Ring security system (not working now because of this fiasco). I've been fussing with this problem for 3 days now! It should not be this hard! I just don't get the jargon, the tech stuff, etc. Sigh...

Anyway... thanks so much for your patience! I know I ramble (um... like now!). Sorry!

Thanks, again...

glass-goddess

Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

What modem do you have? 

I actually want you to connect the extender to the PC via the ethernet. disconnect the pc from the modem/router and just connect it to extender to set it up. Not using access point mode. 

Message 6 of 8

Modem is a C1100T refurbished from CenturyLink. Just got it Monday. Started this mess soon after.

WOW!!!!! IT WORKED!!!!! The only thing I did wrong was that it asked for the Key# (or something like that) and I put in the long abcd... one that CenturyLink used for the modem (thinking I had to use that so it would be the same). And not thinking that this really had nothing to do with the modem, I am now stuck with a really long PW, unless it's easy to change. But not worried about that now because...

I have been able to connect my iPad and cell phone!!!!! (I'm assuming when I move the extender, it will still work.)

Will try my Ring connection now.

But, ooooh... thank you so much!!!!

Stay safe... glass-goddess

Message 7 of 8
plemans
Guru

You can change the centurylink's ssid and password to whatever you prefer. 

https://www.centurylink.com/home/help/internet/modems-and-routers/wireless-setup/wireless-security.h...

you'd need to reinstall/change it on  the extender and device after changing it though. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7