× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Error DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN after update to V1.0.1.70_1.0.44 of firmware BUGGY FIRMWARE

Error DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN after update to V1.0.1.70_1.0.44 of firmware

Hi all,

Ever since I have updated my AC1750 R6400 router every other site I try to open gives a DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN error. If I refresh (F5), the website in question usually opens. It's a bit annoying. Of course I have no proof it's the update, but I had not updated the firmware for two years and had had no problems, and from the day I performed the firmware update the issue arose. So that seems a bit suspicious.

What I have tried: restarting my modem and restarting the router, a flushdns, switching browsers, but to no avail.

Could it be that something went wrong with the firmware update? When I performed the update, I did switch the router off when the network still wasn't up after twenty minutes. After switching it on again, the router seemed to function alright - except for this issue.

Any tips for how to troubleshoot or solve this?

Cheers,

sandokanfirst

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 24
plemans
Guru

Re: Error DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN after update to V1.0.1.70_1.0.44 of firmware

Whenever I run into an issue after a firmware update, one of the first steps i try is a factory reset with a new install (not using a backup configuration)

have you tried this?

Message 2 of 24

Re: Error DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN after update to V1.0.1.70_1.0.44 of firmware

No, I haven't done that yet. I always dread the moment I have to reconfigure the router by hand, but I think you're right that is the wise thing to do. I will try that, thanks, @plemans !

Message 3 of 24

Unfortunately, after a factory reset the issue persists. It's fickle. Sometimes websites load immediately, but the next I get either a DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN or 
ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED. Is there anything else I can do?

Message 4 of 24
plemans
Guru

What modem do you have it connected to?

Message 5 of 24

It's (I think just locally) known as an Experia box v10A (which is an Arcadyan), the obligatory modem/router for my provider. The Netgear has a wired connection to it (and my computer has a wired connection to the Netgear router).

Message 6 of 24
plemans
Guru

Thats a modem router combo device. 

It puts you in a double nat. 

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

do you have the Experia in modem only/passthrough mode?

or the netgears IP address in the experia's dmz?

Or the netgear in access point mode?

Message 7 of 24

The thing is that the Experia doesn't have an passthru only mode or a DMZ. Well, it probably has, but my provider has probably hidden it. But I think that there is not a real problem as the R6400 gets a fixed IP from the Experia as you can see below. Anyway, this has worked well for the past years. 😉

fixed_ip.jpg

Message 8 of 24
plemans
Guru

It can still cause issues. And your isp might have pushed out an update to their combo device causing the issues. 

Have you tried the netgear in access point mode?

Message 9 of 24
antinode
Guru

> Ever since I have updated my AC1750 R6400 router [...]

Is that accurate?  R6400[v1] or R6400v2?  Look for "Model" on the
product label.  Firmware versions (before, after)?

If the new firmware causes problems, then I'd consider reverting to
the older firmware.

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look
for Downloads.  (For older versions, under Firmware and Software
Downloads, look for "View Previous Versions".)  Find the kit(s).
Download the kit(s) you want.  Read the "Release Notes" file for
instructions.  (In the User Manual, look for "firmware", and,
especially, for a topic like "Manually Upload Firmware to the Router".)
When that fails because of a deficient User Manual, try:

https://kb.netgear.com/23960

> Could it be that something went wrong with the firmware update? [...]

More likely, the newer firmware has more/different bugs.

> Or the netgear in access point mode?

> Have you tried the netgear in access point mode?

Configuring the R6400[vX] as a wireless access point might help.

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your (actual) model number,
and look for Documentation.  Get the User Manual (at least).  Read.
Look for a topic like "Use the Router as a Wireless Access Point".

Whether that's a good idea might depend on which router features of
the R6400[vX] you actually use.  (And what the Experia Box v10A lacks.)

Message 10 of 24

No, I haven't used it as access point. I'd rather get back to the situation as it was - one of the reasons being that the Netgear offers a guest network while the Arcadyan doesn't. I've had a router behind a router situation for almost fifteen years now -except for a few years when I had a glass fibre modem with no router capabilities - and I know the pitfalls. The Arcadyan had the last update July 2020, so nothing has changed in that department.

Thanks for your posts - they're much appreciated! I think I will try now to revert to a previous version of the firmware.

Message 11 of 24

Thanks, @antinode. Yes, that's correct. The situation is worse than I initially thought. Pages are only half loaded etc. So I'm going to revert to a previous version.

The Arcadyan (Experia) is very much lacking in features, so I'd like to continue to use the Netgear router for specific configurations.

Message 12 of 24

Re: Error DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN after update to V1.0.1.70_1.0.44 of firmware BUGGY FIRMWARE

So I downgraded from V1.0.1.70_1.0.44 to (my prevous) version, V1.0.1.44_1.0.31, and everything is hunky dory again. Except, of course that I now miss security updates.

What I find odd, though, is that the router update check now proposes to update to V1.0.1.62_1.0.41. Is that because V1.0.1.70 really has a sort of beta status?

What I wonder with these Netgear devices is this: You're entitled to technical support for a few months after purchasing them, so how on earth will Netgear ever know that subsequent firmware updates contain bugs? I don't get the impression they read these forums.

Message 13 of 24
Led57
Aspirant

just an FYI - I just reinstalled my AC1750 (got rid of my Mediacom modem that I got when I moved).   I immediately updated to the latest firmware, and I too was getting a million DNS_PROBE error messages.

I also downgraded to the previous firmware, and the problem has totally gone away.  Everything is working great now.

Message 14 of 24
benhase
Initiate

The R6300v2 Firmware Version 1.0.4.52 has the same DNS_PROBE issue. I did not try the 1.0.4.50 level. I went back to my previous Firmware Version V1.0.4.46_10.0.93 and the issue went away. Hopefully Netgear will fix this huge issue in their later firmware levels.

Model: R6300v2|AC1750 Dual Band Gigabit router
Message 15 of 24
Mark4044
Aspirant

I have R8000.  I recently upgraded firmware that was several years old and have this same issue. I'll reset to factory and try reverting firmware back a few revisions at a time and see if it fixes and which revision started this behavior.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 16 of 24
Mark4044
Aspirant

It turns out this is a known issue that is affecting many models. For my router R8000-V1.0.4.68_10.1.75 dated 01/08/2021 is the last known firmware that doesn't have this issue.  Downgrading fixed it for me.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 17 of 24
hrabcakm
Star

Hi,

Same Here. I have following two routers with exactly same issue, 2 differents ISPs.

R6400 FW 1.0.1.74 - Long term issue, present also in previous versions of Firmware

R8000 FW 1.0.4.76 - Same issue, occurs in last 2 Firmware versions.

Hope fix will come soon.

Regards,

M.

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router, R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 18 of 24

Thanks for your reactions. At least we know we're not alone with this problem. Also personally I'm now sure this has nothing to do with my setup (double NAT), which works without flaws with the older firmware.

However, reverting firmware is not an ideal solution in the end. From @hrabcakm I understand that for the R6400 FW 1.0.1.74 (the latest firmware at the time of writing this) still gives problems. So that is at least half a year of Netgear not doing anything about faulty firmware.

I know this is a user community, but I feel it's a disgrace that Netgear cripples their devices by their sloppy firmware updates. Considering the kind of feedback I had to give Netgear in the past (even when my device was still under warranty), I'm not all impressed by the competence of the developers at Netgear and certainly underwhelmed by customer service. I don't think I will buy another device from them anytime soon, even though the hardware is better than that of some of their competitors.

(For those who are interested in what I mean by sloppy coding -apart from rendering the device useless with the past few pieces of firmware - here is an example with regard to port forwarding, where port numbers had to be unique:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/General-WiFi-Routers-Non/New-firmware-and-Port-Forwording/m-p/51022... 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/General-WiFi-Routers-Non/R6400-Port-Forward-issues-V1-0-1-12-1-0-11...  )

Message 19 of 24
fram45trim
Initiate

I have the same problem, upgraded to latest firmware yesterday constantly need to refresh page to eliminate "page cannot be found error."   Using VPN resolves the issue.  Considering going back to previous firmware version, but not sure how to find. 

Message 20 of 24
plemans
Guru

Did you try enabling IPv6?

Message 21 of 24
fram45trim
Initiate

Thank you for the suggestion.  I had not enabled before, but when I went back to enable and read the process of doing so in the manual, it occured to me that I never reran the setup wizard after changing data suppliers earlier in the year.  I reran the wizard and at least for the time being the problem seems to be resolved.  After testing I also enabled IPv6 in the auto config mode.  Thanks again

Message 22 of 24
plemans
Guru

Glad to hear it worked for you!

Message 23 of 24

@fram45trim wrote:

....when I went back to enable and read the process of doing so in the manual, it occured to me that I never reran the setup wizard after changing data suppliers earlier in the year. 

You did well to make that move. Well done. A lot of people don't.

Changing ISP is just one event that needs a reset of the router. Your experience suggests that running the wizard achieves the same thing as a reset.

The old service, or an old modem, will create various settings on your router. Change the stuff in front of it, and you need to wipe out those settings and create new ones for the new network.

Message 24 of 24
Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 10 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7