× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS105E linked connection limited to 100M

Whitecro
Tutor

GS105E linked connection limited to 100M

Hi 

I have GS105E with 5 ports. Four of the ports are working at 1000 although the one connected downstairs to my router is only connected to 100M. I've checked with the manufacturer of the router and they confirmed its a 1000 ethernet port capable of carrying 1GB /s.

Does anyone know why this isnt doing 1000M?

Model: GS105Ev2|ProSafe Plus 5 ports switch
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Whitecro
Tutor

Re: GS105E linked connection limited to 100M

Your a legend. It was the cable, my cable tester showed 1-8 good with the exception of no.7 not lighting up indicating a problem. Pulled it out of the wall and it was slighly nicked and hanging loose. I would have thought it would've killed the connection but no, it reduced it like you said to 100. Flying on 1000Mbps now although for some reason I cant see the switch IP address on my router. Maybe takes time to propagate.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

If you move the cable from port 1 to port 2/3/4, does it connect at the same 100mbps on those ports? or does it connect at 1000mbps. 

checking to see if its a port issue or an issue with the cable/router. 

You could also try bringing the router next to the switch and connecting it with a known good cat 5E or greater cable. 

Message 2 of 6
Whitecro
Tutor

Yes it does. I moved it from port 1 to 2 and still 100.Screen Shot 2021-08-10 at 11.05.32 pm.png

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

So its not the switch. 

Its either the cable you're connecting with or the router.

Easy rule out for the router is move it next to the switch (or the switch next to the router) and use a known high quality cable. 
if it connects at gigabit speeds, then it'd be the cable you were using prior. If thats the case, you can try redoing the ends on the cable. A bad end can give you a 10/100mbps connection and not gigabit. Plus check the cable to ensure its at least cat 5e

Message 4 of 6
Whitecro
Tutor

Your a legend. It was the cable, my cable tester showed 1-8 good with the exception of no.7 not lighting up indicating a problem. Pulled it out of the wall and it was slighly nicked and hanging loose. I would have thought it would've killed the connection but no, it reduced it like you said to 100. Flying on 1000Mbps now although for some reason I cant see the switch IP address on my router. Maybe takes time to propagate.

Thanks!

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

Glad it was an easy fix!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation