× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Guest login on second WNR1000v3 as access point does not connect to Internet

wmadill
Aspirant

Guest login on second WNR1000v3 as access point does not connect to Internet

I have a WNR1000v3 (firmware V1.0.2.68_60.0.93NA) connected to the WAN and it is running fine. It's IP address is 192.168.0.1, subnet mask 255.255.255.0, gateway 192.168.0.1, and DNS servers are set to 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4. DHCP is configured from 192.168.0.10 to 192.168.0.100. I have a guest login configured and it is running fine.

I have a *second* WNR1000v3 (same firmware) connected to the first as an access point using these instructions: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23784/~/how-to-automatically-configure-a-netgear-route...

I gave it the static IP address of 192.168.0.2, subnet mask 255.255.255.0, gateway 192.168.0.1, and DNS servers again set to Google's. It has the same wireless SSID as the main router and I can seamlessly move between the two. Connecting devices to the LAN ports on this access point work just fine. Connecting via wireless works fine.

I then configured the same guest login on the second router (the one running in access point mode) and I can get an IP address when I use it. However I can't access the Internet. Pings to 192.168.0.1, 192.168.0.2, and 173.194.33.137 (the local google.com IP) all fail.

Is guest login not supported on a router running as an access point? Or am I missing something really obvious?

Thanks,

Bill

Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
wmadill
Aspirant

Re: Guest login on second WNR1000v3 as access point does not connect to Internet

@storm1985 I suspect your configuration means all the LAN ports on the second router will also only route to the Internet. But this gives me a great idea to use yet another router just as a wireless access point for the guest login. (I seem to accumulate old routers!) Unfortunately, I don't have time to try this out until later in the week but I'll definitely do so and report back. Thanks!

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 13

All Replies
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Guest login on second WNR1000v3 as access point does not connect to Internet

Welcome to the community, @wmadill

Copied your setup though I used different model of routers and it's actually working on my end.

I'm not pretty sure if it's a limitation on that model, will inquire this to engineering.

ap.png

Message 2 of 13
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

By the way, if you change the SSID to something else will you get the same result?

Message 3 of 13
wmadill
Aspirant

I didn't try changing the SSID between the two--mostly because I'm trying to make the transition between the main router and the access point painless for folks. But I'll give it a try this weekend and report back.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Bill

Message 4 of 13
wmadill
Aspirant

I changed the SSID for the guest login on the second router. I got the same results: I got assigned an IP address but could not get to Internet. I'll continue to try other combinations of settings and report back if I ever succeed.
Message 5 of 13
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Looking forward to your update.

Message 6 of 13
netwrks
Master

@wmadill wrote:
I changed the SSID for the guest login on the second router. I got the same results: I got assigned an IP address but could not get to Internet. I'll continue to try other combinations of settings and report back if I ever succeed.

Try pointing your DNS Server on the AP to your Base router's gateway. to see if that resolves that issue.

Message 7 of 13
storm1985
Prodigy

@wmadill Here's the config which works for me. Also test this with WPA2. 

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Message 8 of 13
wmadill
Aspirant

Thanks for the configuration idea. If I check the "Allow guest to access My Local Network", I can indeed get on the Internet. Hooray! However, I can also get to any other device on the LAN which makes the guest login useless for my needs. Boo! I wanted to give visitors an open wireless connection that only let them get to the Internet and prevented them from even seeing what else is on the LAN. I'm about to give up on this for now. 😞 Thanks everyone for your ideas! Bill
Message 9 of 13
storm1985
Prodigy

@wmadill Yeah i am expecting this response from you since you will be using Guest network the guest should be separated and cant access the LAN network but can only get Internet access.

Here's the solution.

Set the 2nd router to just a router mode not an AP mode. 2nd router Guest network can no longer access the main network but on this setup the 2 routers will have separate subnet.

Ex.
Router1 LAN IP = 192.168.1.x /24 (router mode) 
Router2  WAN IP = 192.168.1.X

Router2 LAN IP = 10.0.0.x/24 (router mode)  

Message 10 of 13
wmadill
Aspirant

@storm1985 I suspect your configuration means all the LAN ports on the second router will also only route to the Internet. But this gives me a great idea to use yet another router just as a wireless access point for the guest login. (I seem to accumulate old routers!) Unfortunately, I don't have time to try this out until later in the week but I'll definitely do so and report back. Thanks!
Message 11 of 13
storm1985
Prodigy

Disable AP mode on Router2. Once disabled, Router2 should automatically change it's IP address to another subnet from Router1 if not changing you can manually change the LAN IP to any other subnet you wish. Internet and Guest Network should work normally as expected. 

WNR1000v3.jpg

Message 12 of 13
wmadill
Aspirant

While none of the suggestions really solve what I wanted, hooking a secondary router up to run on a private subnet will be a decent work-around for the lack of a working guest login for the AP router. Thanks for everyone's responses. Bill
Message 13 of 13
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7