× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Has Netgear abandoned the R6300v2? Where is the list of obsoleted products?

SteveD_DC
Aspirant

Has Netgear abandoned the R6300v2? Where is the list of obsoleted products?

We are coming up on one year since the R6300v2 has gotten a firmware update (v1.0.4.52 was released on 2021-02-18).  I'm tracking a half-dozen other Netgear devices, and every one of those has gotten several firmware updates since that time (the next-oldest one got updated in September 2021).  A year without updates during a year where a lot of vulnerabilities in these products have been rectified tells me that Netgear has abandoned this model.  The Support page gives no hint either way.  Is the R6300v2 still a supported product?

Does Netgear publish a list of either currently-supported products or a list of obsoleted products?  If this device isnt' going to get firmware support (in the form of fixes for security vulnerabilities) then I'm going to retire it.  If Netgear can't be clear about what is supported or not, I'm going to consider other suppliers for its replacement.

I did contact Support, just wrapped up a lengthy chat with someone who just wanted to tell me about how Armor scans my network for bad stuff.  Wonderful -- and not helpful.

Can anyone answer the boldface questions?

Thank you.

Model: R6300v2|AC1750 Dual Band Gigabit router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions

Re: Has Netgear abandoned the R6300v2? Where is the list of obsoleted products?

@SteveD_DC wrote:

Really unfortunate that Netgear isn't upfront about what products are supported and which aren't.  Makes me rethink my next purchase.

It certainly would be useful to have that sort of list. Which is probably why Netgear does indeed publish such a list:

NETGEAR End of Service | NETGEAR

It would take some analysis to work out how old something is before it becomes obsolete.

In the case of Netgear, devices may well enter what it flags as "end of life" or EOL.

There my still be updates for security things after it disappears from the retail chain. In general the flow of updates slows down after the initial release. That is when bugs turn up and when things get new features.

In the case of the R6300v2, we are talking about an inexpensive bottom-of-the-range router that came out in 2013 based on an original release from 2012. So, it is now near on a decade old. (I wonder how Apple responds to queries about a decade old iPhone.)

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 9

All Replies
plemans
Guru

there isn't a list of obsolete/EOL products. 

You could always check into running ddwrt on it. Might give it some more life/features. 

Message 2 of 9
SteveD_DC
Aspirant

Really unfortunate that Netgear isn't upfront about what products are supported and which aren't.  Makes me rethink my next purchase.

Excellent suggestion regarding DD-WRT.  The database at dd-wrt.com lists the R7000 and R7000P, but not the R7000v2 as supported, so it may not work.

Thank you for the recommendation.

Message 3 of 9

@SteveD_DC wrote:

It certainly would be useful to have that sort of list. Which is probably why Netgear does indeed publish such a list:

It would take some analysis to work out how old something is before it becomes obsolete.

In the case of Netgear, devices may well enter what it flags as "end of life" or EOL.

There my still be updates for security things after it disappears from the retail chain. In general the flow of updates slows down after the initial release. That is when bugs turn up and when things get new features.

In the case of the R6300v2, we are talking about an inexpensive bottom-of-the-range router that came out in 2013 based on an original release from 2012. So, it is now near on a decade old. (I wonder how Apple responds to queries about a decade old iPhone.)

Message 4 of 9

@SteveD_DC wrote:

Does Netgear publish a list of either currently-supported products or a list of obsoleted products? 

Message 5 of 9
SteveD_DC
Aspirant

Michael, fantastic!

I talked to TWO (one via chat, one on the phone) Netgear support people about this, and neither of them knew about that End of Service list.

That is what I’ve been looking for!

To your question about Apple, they published two lists: “Vintage” and “Obsolete” and it is fully explained.

Here’s the link:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201624

Thank you very much.
Message 6 of 9
plemans
Guru

Wasn't aware that was available. Thanks! @michaelkenward 

Message 7 of 9

Me neither. I found it when looking for what the others got up to.

Like them, beyond model numbers Netgear offers a list that is thin on useful details.

It does, though, deal with the questions from @SteveD_DC. Good to see who this conversation as SOLVED. Even though the answer might not be the one they'd like.

Message 8 of 9

@SteveD_DC wrote:
To your question about Apple, they published two lists: “Vintage” and “Obsolete” and it is fully explained.

Here’s the link:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201624

That's not that I would call an "explanation". No better than Netgear's list.

But it is easy to see how they all go down that road. With models coming and going it would be nightmare to offer detailed advice

Thanks for bringing it up. Your question made me go and look for an answer.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7