× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How can I test the signal strength before I buy a securioty camera?

Thekizman
Aspirant

How can I test the signal strength before I buy a securioty camera?

I have a netger WNR2000v5 router with 6 wifi device3s connected.  I want to add an outside security camera and need to test the signal strength.

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: How can I test the signal strength before I buy a securioty camera?

You can stand out there with your cell phone where the camera is going to be and test it. 

You can even speedtest it from that location. Just make sure to shut off the cell phone's data so it isn't using your 3g/4g data. 

it isn't going to be exact because devices have different wireless chips in them but it'll give you an idea. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Re: How can I test the signal strength before I buy a securioty camera?

You can stand out there with your cell phone where the camera is going to be and test it. 

You can even speedtest it from that location. Just make sure to shut off the cell phone's data so it isn't using your 3g/4g data. 

it isn't going to be exact because devices have different wireless chips in them but it'll give you an idea. 

Message 2 of 4
Thekizman
Aspirant

will adding an outdfoor security camera overload my old router?

I have a 1500 sq ft 2 story house and my WNR2000v5 gets signalws throughout the house even in the cellar.  I am buying an 2wireless outdoor security camera and want to see if I need a newer router.  Totally not tech savy.

@plemans wrote:

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: will adding an outdfoor security camera overload my old router?

You might look into upgrading to a dual band router. if you're streaming video on the 2.4ghz band  (slower band but broadcasts further and through more materials), it might cause issues with other devices online as streaming video takes more bandwidth. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7