× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to make R6080 work better for devices further away

n8smith
Aspirant

How to make R6080 work better for devices further away

I have the AC1000 R6080 router and it works ok within ten feet but once I go about 10-20 feet around the corner to my office it sucks. My modem is fine, the router firmware is updated as well as the devices are updated, I tried changing the channels on it, I tried resetting everything, any advice to make it work for the whole (850 sq ft) apartment ideally cost effective? Thanks!

Model: R6080|AC1000 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: How to make R6080 work better for devices further away

"tried resetting everything" 

You tried factory resetting the router? 

What firmware is on it? 

what modem/gateway is it connected to? 

What device are you testing on? 

Message 2 of 7
n8smith
Aspirant

Hi! 

Yes I tried factory resetting the router by holding reset for more than 7 seconds.

What firmware is on it? The most updated one that's available 

V1.0.0.52

what modem/gateway is it connected to? modem is tplink and comcast says the modem is fine it must just be the router

What device are you testing on? i'm testing it on a windows laptop plugged into the router by ethernet 

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

What tplink modem? 

When you "go around the corner", what are the walls in the office made of? Certain material like concrete, brick, stone, metal all block wifi really well. 

Message 4 of 7
n8smith
Aspirant

DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem
And I think the walls are dry wall
Message 5 of 7
n8smith
Aspirant

Best Buy says xfinity is the best for my area and recommended a wifi 6 netgear router to try so I plan to try that (they said if that doesn’t work then the wifi 5 nighthawk should work). Xfinity tech person is coming tomorrow to see if there’s anything they can do as well but I assume I just needed the newer router
Message 6 of 7

@n8smith wrote:

....I assume I just needed the newer router

Anything would be a step up from the R6080. That is one of those odd Netgear things with slow Ethernet ports. If you have Internet speeds above 100 Mbps you are throwing a lot of it away.

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7