× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to setup WNR3500L as second router for seamless wireless network extension

How to setup WNR3500L as second router for seamless wireless network extension

I have an xfinity cable modem as my primary router.

• wireless SSID WiFi2.4
  • channel 6
  • gateway IP is 10.0.0.1
  • DHCP starts at 10.0.02

I have a WNR3500L connected to the main router, also with a 2.4 network (and some ethernet ports). I configured it like this:

• wireless SSID WiFi2.4
  • password is the same as the main router
  • channel 11
  • gateway IP is 192.168.1.1 
  • DHCP starts at 192.168.1.2

This works for (mostly) seamless Wifi access wherever you are in the house. You don't know if you are connected to one router or the other, but it does so automatically. It's a little annoying when you walk from one part of the house and it "reconnects" to the other router, but not a big deal.

The problem is that devices connected to one router are invisible to devices connected to the other. For example, we have several devices that you can cast to, like Chromecasts, TVs, etc. However, because of the two networks, you can't always see the device you want to.

After some research it seems I need to get all my devices to get IPs assigned from the main router DHCP, even if they are connected to the second route. Si I tried this:

• main router: reserve IP for second router 10.0.0.2
  • second router: under "LAN Setup" set IP to 10.0.02, and disable DHCP

This appears to completely break the router, and I need to factory reset it. The DHCP doesn't appear to work at all, as any device I connect to the second router will now fail to connect.

It seems it should be possible to do what I want. Any suggestions on what to try?

Model: WNR3500Lv1|N300 Wireless Gigabit Router|EOL
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions

Re: How to setup WNR3500L as second router for seamless wireless network extension

@grillmaster77 wrote:

Make and model?

I have a WNR3500L connected to the main router

An ancient (2009) device with less than startling wifi that can't hope to be "seamless". (That's what Mesh technology does.) But it could extend the wifi range.

It seems it should be possible to do what I want. Any suggestions on what to try?

It is called wireless access point (AP) mode. But your device seems to predate having that "built in" to the configuration, so it may not come with an easy "switch" to get it into AP mode in the browser graphical user interface (GUI). But you could try this:

How to turn an old Wi-Fi router into an access point - CNET  

The problem is that devices connected to one router are invisible to devices connected to the other. For example, we have several devices that you can cast to, like Chromecasts, TVs, etc. However, because of the two networks, you can't always see the device you want to.

Probably a consequence of "double NAT":

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

and

How to fix issues with Double NAT | Answer | NETGEAR Support

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies

Re: How to setup WNR3500L as second router for seamless wireless network extension

@grillmaster77 wrote:

Make and model?

I have a WNR3500L connected to the main router

An ancient (2009) device with less than startling wifi that can't hope to be "seamless". (That's what Mesh technology does.) But it could extend the wifi range.

It is called wireless access point (AP) mode. But your device seems to predate having that "built in" to the configuration, so it may not come with an easy "switch" to get it into AP mode in the browser graphical user interface (GUI). But you could try this:

How to turn an old Wi-Fi router into an access point - CNET  

Probably a consequence of "double NAT":

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

and

How to fix issues with Double NAT | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7