× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to use Netgear AC1200 R6120 Router as Repeater without ethernet cable?

IAmAshok
Aspirant

How to use Netgear AC1200 R6120 Router as Repeater without ethernet cable?

Hi Guys,

I recently bought Netgear AC1200 R6120 dual band router and want to use it as a range extender/repeater , has somebody done this? I have searched everywhere and was not able to find any solution. I do not have ADVANCED > Wireless Repeating Function in my advanced setup. I only see make router as Access point with wired connection. Is there a way to do it as repeater/range extender with wired connection?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!

Model: R6100|AC1200 Dual Band Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions

Re: How to use Netgear AC1200 R6120 Router as Repeater without ethernet cable?

@IAmAshok wrote:

@antinode I wanted wireless connection. So you mean its not possible to do this, Is it?

You want to put the router into "wireless repeater" mode.

Only some routers allow this. The thing to look for in the manual is WDS. It is short for Wireless Distribution System.

Unfortunately, the R6120 is one of the few in the whole R6XXX series that lacks that feature.

In general, that router is "low spec". It says it has LAN and WAN ports that support 10BASE-T, but I don't believe that. ( The Data Sheet says "Five (5) 10/100 (1 WAN and 4 LAN)  Fast Ethernet ports with auto-sensing  technology".) 100BASE-T is more likely but not the more usual 1000BASE-T.

As this is a recent purchase, any chance that you can take it back and get something that supports WDS?

Failing that you could invest in a couple of Powerline plugs to substitute for the wired LAN link between the router and access point. Powerline plugs with 100BASE-T are now old hat, which means that you should be able to get them at a decent price.

Product FAQ: Powerline Adapters | Answer | NETGEAR Support

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
antinode
Guru

> [...] I only see make router as Access point with wired connection. Is
> there a way to do it as repeater/range extender with wired connection?

Huh?  Do you want a wired or wireless connection to the
repeater/range-extender/access-point?  As its User Manual suggests, a
wired connection to an R6120-as-wireless-access-point may be all you can
do with an R6120.

Message 2 of 6
IAmAshok
Aspirant

@antinode I wanted wireless connection. So you mean its not possible to do this, Is it?

Message 3 of 6
antinode
Guru

> I wanted wireless connection. So you mean its not possible to do this,
> Is it?

I don't see how.  Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in "R7000"
as the model number, and look for Documentation.  Get its User Manual.
Look for "repeater" there.  Compare with the R6120  User Manual.

Message 4 of 6

@IAmAshok wrote:

You want to put the router into "wireless repeater" mode.

Only some routers allow this. The thing to look for in the manual is WDS. It is short for Wireless Distribution System.

Unfortunately, the R6120 is one of the few in the whole R6XXX series that lacks that feature.

In general, that router is "low spec". It says it has LAN and WAN ports that support 10BASE-T, but I don't believe that. ( The Data Sheet says "Five (5) 10/100 (1 WAN and 4 LAN)  Fast Ethernet ports with auto-sensing  technology".) 100BASE-T is more likely but not the more usual 1000BASE-T.

As this is a recent purchase, any chance that you can take it back and get something that supports WDS?

Failing that you could invest in a couple of Powerline plugs to substitute for the wired LAN link between the router and access point. Powerline plugs with 100BASE-T are now old hat, which means that you should be able to get them at a decent price.

Product FAQ: Powerline Adapters | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 5 of 6
IAmAshok
Aspirant

@michaelkenward : You are right, my router does not WDS. Searched everywhere, but could not find it. Thanks for your help for clearing things . 

Cheers!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series