× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Inconsistency observed in information provided for Netgear router WNDR3400 on Netgear webpage,

Swapnil_1989
Aspirant

Inconsistency observed in information provided for Netgear router WNDR3400 on Netgear webpage,

I wanted to buy a budget wifi router,while searching on internet i came across Netgear WNDR3400 router. When i saw USB port support is also provided i decided to buy the product but the USB port displayed in image is in Blue color and as per standards Blue color USB port represent USB 3.0, in your product description Netgear have mentioned it as USB 2.0(Black Color Port). I have seen various images of this product from end user in which i can see the USB port provided for WNDR3400 is Black color (USB 2.0).

I have attached a image which will clear your confusions. Basic thing is that in Netgear web page u have displayed Netgear WNDR3400 with Blue USB port which mean it supports USB 3.0. But when we scroll down in technical specification it shows it has 2.0 USB (Black Port). Its totally like wrong advertisement.

Please let me know the point which i have pointed out is valid or not.

Netgear WNDR3400 Router.jpg
Model: WNDR3400|N600 Wireless Dual Band Router
Message 1 of 27

Accepted Solutions
Swapnil_1989
Aspirant

Re: Inconsistency observed in information provided for Netgear router WNDR3400 on Netgear webpage,

Hi @ElaineM as it was as major issue which I found out can I expect a compensation (gift) for the same ?

As it was a defect which your QA team forgot to identify.

View solution in original post

Message 26 of 27

All Replies
William10a
Master

The wndr3400 was designed before the usb 3 standard was even designed on paper I know today usb ports are color coded but when usb 2 was new and placed into  electronic devices such issues of color was not important now days the ports on the devices we use are changing ever few years it seems.

Message 2 of 27
Swapnil_1989
Aspirant

But on each and every online shopping sites also it's showing blue USB port image of router which directly says the perticular model supports USB 3.0
Message 3 of 27
William10a
Master

Most of the people who write the information on their web sites never lived through the changes of the serial port into the usb1 then2 now 3.0 and 3.1 even being replaced now on paper by faster standards and just repeat a scape. Color means little when yellow is ground and black is signal line by some wiring codes .

Message 4 of 27
William10a
Master

Netgear says it has usb 2 port in it's manual's http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/datasheet/en/WNDR3400v3.pdf.

Message 5 of 27
Swapnil_1989
Aspirant

USB 2 port is in black color right ?? And to show if USB port is 3.0 blue color is used right ?? Then why in netgear webpage the router is displayed with blue color port . I know it has 2.0 USB port . But then in image also they should display black port only saying it's 2.0 USB.

For a new person it's hard to get as after seeing blue port he will think it's usb3 port and after purchasing router he will think he is cheated .

Even on many website ur router image is displayed with blue color USB port instead of black.
Message 6 of 27
William10a
Master

I have seen the pictures you were looking at the wndr3400v1 even has a blue usb port. What do you need the router to do?

The color blue even has a value of 6 on the color code chart for resistors so it is all in how you look at it.

Message 7 of 27
StephenB
Guru

@Swapnil_1989 wrote:
But on each and every online shopping sites also it's showing blue USB port image of router which directly says the perticular model supports USB 3.0

USB 3.0 mandates the blue insert color, but USB 2.0 was silent on that.  So a USB 2-only product is compliant with the original USB 2 spec even if it uses the blue color.  The purpose of the color change was to make it easy for users to see which ports within the same product were USB 3 and which were not.  It wasn't intended to advertise that the model itself supported USB 3.

The WNDR3400v1 goes back to 2010, and the WNDR3400v2 was introduced in 2011 - well before the USB 3.0 spec was published in 2013.  So both would be clearly USB 2.0 compliant (even if they used blue inserts) at the time they were introduced.  

The artwork currently on Netgear's site shows a black insert color on the WNDR3400v3, and the diagrams all clearly say USB 2.0 port.  But resellers use whatever art work they want, and in my experience it often doesn't match the shipped product - especially in a case like this, where you have three different hardware changes over the lifetime of the product..  

You could of course return/exchange the router for a newer one - and if you purchased a WNDR3400v1 or v2, I suggest you do that, since the products were built in 2014 or earlier.  

Since you care about the speed of the router storage, I suggest you check out the router reviews before purchase (smallnetbuilder.com measures storage speed in all their reviews).  Even with USB 3.0 connectors, the router storage can be limited by other factors, including the disk format, and the router's CPU performance and the network speed.

Message 8 of 27
William10a
Master

If the speed of storage is important a nas server would give the best possible speed.

Message 9 of 27
StephenB
Guru

@William10a wrote:

If the speed of storage is important a nas server would give the best possible speed.

I agree (and use NAS servers myself).  Though many of the newer higher-end routers test out quite well.

Message 10 of 27
Swapnil_1989
Aspirant

See basically my question is that why blue color port is displayed for USB 2.0 port. And now we have standards for USB port color code then netgear should update the images of router on webpage to avoide such confusion . I have not purchased this router till now . But netgear should update the images on netgear site too .

If the product getting delivered to customer is black USB port then on webpage it should display black only not blue . Blue USB port says it's USB 3.0 port
Message 11 of 27
Swapnil_1989
Aspirant

But on Netgear site it's showing blue color USB port and even on other online selling sites showing blue color port . See for current phase u know and I know blue color port determines it's a USB 3.0 port. At least as netgear to update the images and post the current standard USB 2.0 black port displaying image.

And on many site I have seen they are displaying as USB port is present but they are not mentioning it's USB 2.0 port where as user sees it's a blue port by which enduser thinks wnbr3400 router has 3.0 USB port.

And if u say netgear old router had blue color port at start then it's ok but company should update the images on webpage too to make sure we are not providing wrong information
Message 12 of 27
StephenB
Guru

No one on this thread so far works for Netgear.  I've forwarded the link to a Netgear Mod, so maybe they will follow up here.

Message 13 of 27
Swapnil_1989
Aspirant

do  we have any updates from Netgear team on this issue ?

Message 14 of 27
schumaku
Guru

Not a Netgear official, however ... most information in the Internet ref. USB 3.0 and black vs. blue inserts is bluntly wrong. For example many notebook vendors are using USB 3.0 with black or white or whatever colour inserts for design reasons. Using the blue insert colour was and is only a recommendation to distinguish if USB 2 and USB 3.0 ports exist on the same system. Even blue inserts are USB-IF compliant for USB 2 ports if there are no USB 3.0 ports.

USB-IF Compliance Updates #78 clarified this:

Blue Pantone (color) in USB 3.0 Connectors
Mandate: Informational
Effective Date: June, 2011

Section 5.3.1.3 of the USB 3.0 Specification defines Blue (Pantone 300C) as a recommended color for USB 3.0 A-connectors.

The use of blue pantone thermoplastics in USB 3.0 connectors is recommended on systems with a mix of USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 ports. For certification, the USB-IF does require that the user be able to clearly and easily distinguish between a USB 3.0 and a USB 2.0 port on a system; however, it is left to the system implementer on how to accomplish this.

PS. @StephenB The USB 3.0 standard was published on 12 September 2008 ... 8-)

Message 15 of 27
William10a
Master

Most of the time it comes down the cost of the part there was a time capacitors where going bad on mother boards of computers just because a company sold the caps at very low price and they were used.

If you have millions of a part in stock you use it. 

Message 16 of 27
Swapnil_1989
Aspirant

@schumaku "For example many notebook vendors are using USB 3.0 with black or white or whatever colour inserts for design reasons. Using the blue insert colour was and is only a recommendation to distinguish if USB 2 and USB 3.0 ports exist on the same system"

see i know all this but consider a enduser who is not aware about all this things, he knows blue color means Usb 3 and black means 2.0 . then ?

And on company webpage its shown as blue but when the enduser recives the router the usb port provided is in black color. If you are showing a blue color port atleast provide it to avoid confuiions. And again in market this router is being sold with black color port that is 2.0 USB port only . So why Ntegear site is showing blue color port on webpage.

Message 17 of 27
William10a
Master

A simple answer is the web store who sales the item include a statement the item may appear different from the picture at lease the end user would know it is possible to receive a router with different colored ports.

Message 18 of 27
schumaku
Guru

Why? Because there is nothing wrong. Completely legal, completely correct. Matter of fact many vendors (even the SoC makers sample boards) used the blue ones.

Still, the fact that you think blue is USB 3.0 is wrong. Only the specs are relevant. Nobody will update pictures in this consumer class market. Even less, no reseller or retailer will update his online offering.

Years ago, a NAS vendor has introduced an "updated" Mk.II or "plus" model of an existing product - along with a newer SoC two of the four USB ports were updated to USB 3.0. The marketing images remained the same.

It's a budget box. The performance of the processor is much to limited anyway to make use of the USB 3.0 bandwidth - there would not be any advantage. Buy it, or leave it. 

Message 19 of 27
Swapnil_1989
Aspirant

@William10a : A simple answer is the web store who sales the item include a statement the item may appear different from the picture at lease the end user would know it is possible to receive a router with different colored ports.

But why there is a inconsistency on Netgear webpage ? i have posted the image in my first post please check

Message 20 of 27
William10a
Master

Just a change in the supplier of the usb port or a new shipment it is all part of the world we live in one day a glass jar the next day a plastic jar but the same product.

Message 21 of 27
Swapnil_1989
Aspirant

i dont agree on the above statement which u made , its a business. i have a conversation history saved with me in which Netgear source said yes its a wrong advertisment.

Message 22 of 27
schumaku
Guru

@Swapnil_1989 wrote:

i dont agree on the above statement which u made , its a business. i have a conversation history saved with me in which Netgear source said yes its a wrong advertisment.

Netgear is technicaly and legally wrong, too. They just try to be nice to thier prospect customers. I'm just honest and have provieded proof that you are wrong. And you hate this. I don't care.

Message 23 of 27
William10a
Master

Let's agree to disagree Netgear made three versions of this router each with changes to the hardware changes were made inside the router but in the end it is still a wndr3400 n600 dual band router and matter the looks change or did not change.

Message 24 of 27
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Swapnil_1989 Thank you for your feedback. The page will be updated soon. 

Message 25 of 27
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 26 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7