× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Incorrect firmware update for WNDR4500v2

Mikellys
Tutor

Incorrect firmware update for WNDR4500v2

To whom this may concern,

I'm trying to update my firmware from 1.0.0.68_1.0.42 to 1.0.0.72_1.0.45.  I keep getting wincorrect firmware error even though I provided my router model three different ways I get the same results.  The automatic update doesn't seem to see or acquire the firmware as well.  Anyone have the same issues with this firmware and if so have anyone attempted to contact Netgear?  I've tried but I seems to get scammers phone number or web addresses.  I don't really need to update my firmware as my current one works great.  Any thoughts.  Thanks 

Model: WNDR4500v2|N900 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
Mikellys
Tutor

Re: Incorrect firmware update for WNDR4500v2 (Solved)

To all,

I guess Netgear read my issues and the firmware is now correct and I was able to download it and update my firmware to 1.0.0.72_1.0.45.  Great!!  Thanks for all your assist.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 9

All Replies

@Mikellys wrote:

To whom this may concern,

I'm trying to update my firmware from 1.0.0.68_1.0.42 to 1.0.0.72_1.0.45. 

I assume that you have unzipped the firmware file you downloaded. I ask because a lot of people make that mistake.

The release notes explain what to do:

WNDR4500v2 Firmware Version 1.0.0.72 | Answer | NETGEAR Support

@Mikellys wrote:

I keep getting wincorrect firmware error even though I provided my router model three different ways I get the same results. 

I don't understand that bit. Where are you feeding in the router model?

Message 2 of 9
Mikellys
Tutor

To answer all the questions at the same time.  I did unzipped the package and installed the *.chk file.  

I'm feeding the router model through the Netgear website I manually typing in the info onto their website. I also were using their "Search Within Product Line" to pick-out my model number. I guess there were two ways instead of three. 

My thought is the firmware were designed for other routers instead of mine.  The only way to prove me wrong on this is if someone has a WNDR4500v2 and was able to load the firmware version 1.0.0.72_1.0.45 successfully. 

There is really nothing I can do and I'm good with the current firmware.  If security is paramount for this than I'll do a custom installation through DD-wrt.  

Message 3 of 9

@Mikellys wrote:
I'm feeding the router model through the Netgear website I manually typing in the info onto their website. I also were using their "Search Within Product Line" to pick-out my model number. I guess there were two ways instead of three. 

What is this "Netgear website". What address is it?

After you have a local copy of the firmware file, updating firmware has nothing to do with a "website". It is just the local – on your network – way into the html interface for the router. It goes nowhere near the internet. You can even do it offline.

Did you visit the link I provided to the release notes for this firmware?

That bypasses whatever way in you were using.

Did you follow its instructions?

Your reply does not answer that.

@Mikellys wrote:
There is really nothing I can do and I'm good with the current firmware.  If security is paramount for this than I'll do a custom installation through DD-wrt.  

Forget about fancy stuff. First confirm that you are using the conventional route.

Your answer does not convince ne that you have done that.

These things can be complicated. Netgear isn't great at explaining these things. So plenty of people get it wrong.

Go back t basics. Read the link I provided. allow the instructions. Tell us where they go wrong.

@Mikellys wrote:

The only way to prove me wrong on this is if someone has a WNDR4500v2 and was able to load the firmware version 1.0.0.72_1.0.45 successfully. 

"Only way" is bold claim. As you are the first person I can find who failed with this firmware, I suspect a different answer.

Message 4 of 9
Mikellys
Tutor

To answer all your questions,

First of all don't worry about a website.  I've downloaded the firmware from Netgear site 8 previous time from 1.0.0.42 - 1.0.0.68 and successfully (follow instructions to the letter) loaded into my router with no problems.  I did nothing different with this one and it give me incorrect firmware error.  So my guess is the firmware is wrong for this device.  If that's the case than anyone with the same router as me would be in the same predicament. 

To answer your questions in the future:

1. Same setting on the router as before for all previous download and nothing changed.

2. firmware came from Netgear Website for manual download or automatically download once I hit check "Check new version from the internet" button for auto download from the router itself.

3. Firmware install instructions are very clear.  Even a newbie can follow.

4. I even reset my router to it's basic settings and it gives me incorrect firmware error

It's not a bold statement if someone else's WNDR4500v2 accept firmware 1.0.0.72_1.0.45

successfully.  

Instead of shooting down my statement come up with a constructive solution.  I've exhausted all my ideas except for debugging the firmware.  Thanks for your help

Message 5 of 9
antinode
Guru

> [...] updating firmware has nothing to do with a "website". [...]

> [...] First of all don't worry about a website.

Don't worry.  One of us always gets excited when anyone even comes
close to hinting that the management web site which is built into a
router is a web site.  Any use of the term "web site" can trigger this
"It's only a web site if it's not your router's web site" response.  (It
gets tiresome, but, as with his useless "My hardware" equipment
inventory, it's practically impossible to stop him.)

> [...] The only way to prove me wrong on this [...]

"only" is a dangerous word to use in a case like this.

Actual experience with this firmware kit would be nice, and perhaps
the best datum, but there are some other trails (trials?) which could be
followed.  For example, have you tried loading your current-version
firmware, or an older version?  Is the problem with this particular new
firmware kit, or will the router reject any should-be-suitable firmware?
If the current firmware is scrambled, then the router may not be able to
distinguish suitable from unsuitable firmware.

If you get desperate, then you might try using the TFTP recovery
scheme to cram the firmware of your choice down the device's throat
(whether or not it's appropriate).

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1533866#M87578

Message 6 of 9
Mikellys
Tutor

I didnt' thought about reusing previous firmware.  With your advice I restored the original version 1.0.0.42 with no problem.  Tried to update to 1.0.0.72 with no success and even reset the router and tried to update the firmware and still I get incorrect firmware error.  This happen when I restore 1.0.0.50, 56, 60, 64 and 68 and get the same results.  I'm not going to use TFTP to force the 1.0.0.72 just incase it bricks my router.  We love our 337Mb download speed and don't want to use my backup WRT54g with 54Mb download speed.   So my guess is the 1.0.0.72 Firmware is:

1. Wrong firmware for WNDR4500v2

2. Right firmware but wrong firmware name within the code hence incorrect firmware error

3. Wrong code written for this device

4. Incomplete code within the firmware

So I'm going to debug this firmware and compare it with the previous firmware and see if there is anything I can make an adjustment on.  If not I'm not going to worry about it until a higher version arrives for me to download. 

Thanks for all your help. 

Message 7 of 9

@Mikellys wrote:
2. Right firmware but wrong firmware name within the code hence incorrect firmware error

Now that you mention it, I've seen that one before.

Message 8 of 9
Mikellys
Tutor

Re: Incorrect firmware update for WNDR4500v2 (Solved)

To all,

I guess Netgear read my issues and the firmware is now correct and I was able to download it and update my firmware to 1.0.0.72_1.0.45.  Great!!  Thanks for all your assist.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7