× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Internet connectivity issue R6400v2

Chelstrom84
Aspirant

Internet connectivity issue R6400v2

We're having issues with our Netgear Nighthawk. We cannot get the Internet light to switch from orange back to white, and CenturyLink is refusing to help us because the modem is not theirs. We've tried the usual unplugging, factory resetting, and opening up the Nighthawk app to see what it is advising, and nothing is happening. To make matters worse, my husband took the modem over to his father's house (less than a mile away) who also uses CenturyLink and it works fine. We currently have the use of a CenturyLink modem which is working perfectly well so we know it isn't necessarily a CenturyLink issue.

The technician that came out told us that the router was likely fine and that there was probably an issue with credentials. He did something, got some information, and told me to take a photograph. I'll screenshot what he left us, but in all honestly, we don't know what to do with this information. I've removed some of the info for security reasons, but hopefully someone will know what we're supposed to do?

Thank you so much.
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: Internet connectivity issue R6400v2

What modem/gateway is the router connected to from centurylink? they're known for installing modem/router combo devices and that'd put you in a double nat. 

A double nat happens when you cascade more than 1 router.
https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Fixes? There’s 3 options but only use 1.
1. Put the modem/gateway in modem only/pass through mode. This disables its routing functions.
2. Leave the modem/gateway in router mode but put the Netgears IP address into its DMZ. This forwards the data to the netgear. You can either leave the modem/gateway’s wireless enabled or disabled. Just make sure its using a different wifi channel to prevent interference
3. Put the Netgear into access point mode. This disables its routing functions. Wifi/ethernet still works but it does disable some features.
https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Which-features-are-disabled-on-my-NETGEAR-router-when-it-is-set-to-AP-M...

Message 2 of 4
Chelstrom84
Aspirant

Thank you so much for replying, but I'm afraid I don't know how to answer your questions. The Netgear router that we have was working fine with CenturyLink for 4 years, and then I reset it one day (my kids iPads weren't connecting to the Internet so I pressed the button on the back to reset) and the Internet symbol has been orange ever since.

Here is what I do know, which isn't much:
- Our WiFi network can be found on our phones and iPads but going to settings. It's right there, but has no Internet connectivity.
- The Nighthawk app can find our router when we connect to the router's WiFi on our phones. It says Internet: Online in the top-right corner
- When we test our Internet Speed we get a good upload speed but nothing for download. I've added a screenshot to show this.
- When we go into WiFi analytics it states that our signal strength is amazing, and even tells us to move away from the router if we're a little too close to it.

As older millennials, we just don't understand the inner workings of this magical box, only the frustrations of having it go wrong. If you need me to provide additional details please could you tell me how to get them for you?

Thanks again!
Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

What CenturyLink device is the R6400 connected to? (label should have a model number)

Thats key as you reset the router. I'm better the CenturyLink tech setup a passthrough or something else during setup. when you reset the router, it removed the settings it needed to their device

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7