× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Is Nighthawk 7400v2 still supported?

peggy-peggy
Aspirant

Is Nighthawk 7400v2 still supported?

Greetings!

I go to this page, https://www.netgear.com/about/eos/, and see that R6400 is on the list of EOL/EOS. However, seeing "others" on the list, they explicitly say "Version 1" or "Version 2" when listed.

So I was wondering if the R6400 on the list is for the "Version 1" or when there is no explicit mention of version, does it mean the whole R6400 series is EOL/EOS?

Thank you for your help!

Message 1 of 7

Re: Is Nighthawk 7400v2 still supported?

@peggy-peggy wrote:

So I was wondering if the R6400 on the list is for the "Version 1" or when there is no explicit mention of version, does it mean the whole R6400 series is EOL/EOS?

Generally, references to model numbers if there is no V# that applies to V1.

Any reason for asking?

Message 2 of 7
peggy-peggy
Aspirant

Yes, when my geek friend was helping me with stuff, I asked if I need to replace my router. He checked the Netgear knowledgebase(?) & showed me my router, R6400, listed in EOS page, noted in my initial post, but didn't explicitly mention version I had. My geek friend wanted to make sure I was using a router that was still supported since I have R6400v2.
Message 3 of 7

@peggy-peggy wrote:
My geek friend wanted to make sure I was using a router that was still supported since I have R6400v2.

That is a relatively recent variant (2022), but it is based on a 2015 original. It was never the most capable box on the shelf. But if it fits your needs, fine.

But your subject now says "7400v2". There is no R7400v2 that I can find. Just the R7400 from 2019.

Not sure what he expects of "still supported". By now the only changes for that router are likely to be on the security front. Unless you are paranoid, that it hardly likely to be a matter of life and death.

Message 4 of 7
peggy-peggy
Aspirant

Thank you for pointing out my typo. I believe he said my router was R6400v2.

Not paranoid per SE but I tend to use my devices until it becomes unsupported. My non-geek understanding is that unsupported stops getting updates, usually of any kind, this I've been always trying to budget for something newer in the future when that happens.
Message 5 of 7

@peggy-peggy wrote:
My non-geek understanding is that unsupported stops getting updates, usually of any kind,

Even devices that are "EOS" can received security updates. It has happened.

Message 6 of 7
peggy-peggy
Aspirant

Re: Is Nighthawk 6400v2 still supported?

Thank you! I shared this info with my geek friend. He said to thank you and that it is good to know that Netgear, compared to other manufacturers, is more committed in supporting their customers and Netgear products.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7