× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Latest update bug: R6400 Firmware DNS issue (V1.0.1.74_1.0.48)

olympos1625
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi,

We do not have ETA when will the new firmware that fixes the current issue that you are having with the model R6400 but our Engineers are working on this one, expediting the fix.

Regards,

Oliver

Community Team

Message 26 of 50

@olympos1625I have DM'd you my email as to test out this beta firmware. The more testers, the sooner it'll be released (if it works) I suppose.

Message 27 of 50
robjak
Luminary

Thank you for the update @robjak, did you update your support ticket?

olympos1625 ,

Sorry  did not see this.  I was out of town for a few weeks. 

I was working with engineering on this and i did speak directly with them.  I also update ticket a few days later.   

Model: R8300|Nighthawk X8 AC5000 Smart WiFi Router
Message 28 of 50
q-droid
Aspirant

I want to give a big thanks to all in this thread and others related to this problem. I had the same issue on r6400v1 after it crashed (first time ever) and I decided to upgrade firmware to the latest release - DNS errors ever since. It took me some time to research and finally came across these threads with specific and useful info for this model. Downgraded to 1.0.1.68 and so far so good. I wouldn't have known how far back to downgrade otherwise.

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 29 of 50

@olympos1625

It's been 9 days and I see you're active in new threads. Can you send over that beta firmware please? I sent you my email last week. Personally, keeping up to date with security patches is paramount. It doesn't seem the firmware is going to be released anytime soon.

Message 30 of 50

It's apparent that since the DNS problem arose, subsequent and unrelated updates have made the router(s) even worse. In fact, I think Netgear is imploding as we speak.

“Way to go Disney! I have disabled automatic updates because the last update from Netgear slowed my router down so much. I had to downgrade to a much older version that did not include the armour guard application to get my full isp speed back. I am afraid that this new patch will come with the same application that I had to get rid of that slowed down my router. Maybe it is time for a new wifi 6 router from a different company.”
“the same issue with the 6400v2 downgraded the firmware which helped get more speed but ultimately bought a new router the Rax50 to keep up with the speeds much happier now.”

Source: PCMag comments / Netgear forum

I do however have a solution to my issue; I bought a non-Netgear branded router. Are you looking for a router with stability, performance and industry standard updates that don't break the the product altogether? Look no further.

Buy anything but Netgear today. Special thanks to @olympos1625 for logging in the forum every day and ignoring everyone while having the time to respond to new threads. I hope everyone else gets a working router sometime soon because this is verging on class action territory when the product isn't end of life. Oh, how the mighty fall.

Message 31 of 50
SimpleRob
Guide

Any suggestions on what router I should get to replace my R6400? I am looking for the best range I can find because my R6400 doesn't quite cover my house completely, weak signals in a few spots.

Message 32 of 50

@SimpleRob wrote:

Any suggestions on what router I should get to replace my R6400? I am looking for the best range I can find because my R6400 doesn't quite cover my house completely, weak signals in a few spots.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that you can buy a more "powerful" router to fill any wifi dead spots. Standards, and safety considerations, limit how much power a wifi source can churn out. So you might not get more range out of a spiffy new device.

You might get better speeds with newer technology. But you might need more than one wifi source. That's why Netgear and others make Mesh systems. (Orbi, for example, in Netgear's case.) These make it easier to use two sources - a router and satellites – to get better coverage.

Message 33 of 50

Literally anything but a Netgear product. The DNS issue had been around for a few firmware versions before I reported it; that's at least a year if not longer since this problem first came to light, and they literally do not give a sh!t.

@NETGEAR_Teamdon't care.

@olympos1625doesn't care.

@BretDdoesn't care.

@ChristinaMdoesn't care.

@DaneAdoesn't care.

@Dustin_Vdoesn't care.

@AngeloMdoesn't care.

I don't know what you guys are up to, but you need to promptly remove your thumbs from your assholes and fix a bug that's been documented for at least a year. Do it right now. Stop f*cking around. You should all be fired you monumental retards. I have had enough of companies taking the mickey out of the consumer.

You should all be fired for your gross incompetency. Please eject me from this forum before I continue.

Message 34 of 50
SimpleRob
Guide

I'll drink to that! Godspeed, fellow annoyed R6400 owner.

@NamelessPerson wrote:

Literally anything but a Netgear product. The DNS issue had been around for a few firmware versions before I reported it; that's at least a year if not longer since this problem first came to light, and they literally do not give a sh!t.

@NETGEAR_Teamdon't care.

@olympos1625doesn't care.

@BretDdoesn't care.

@ChristinaMdoesn't care.

@DaneAdoesn't care.

@Dustin_Vdoesn't care.

@AngeloMdoesn't care.

I don't know what you guys are up to, but you need to promptly remove your thumbs from your assholes and fix a bug that's been documented for at least a year. Do it right now. Stop f*cking around. You should all be fired you monumental retards. I have had enough of companies taking the mickey out of the consumer.

You should all be fired for your gross incompetency. Please eject me from this forum before I continue.

Message 35 of 50
olympos1625
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi NamelessPerson,

We are sorry for not being able to get back to you immediately. We already forwarded your details to our Level 2 department. They will get in touch with you as soon as possible.

Regards,

Oliver

Community Team

Message 36 of 50
robjak
Luminary

Does level 2 have the Beta firmware for him to test? 

User Winancy's previous Level 2 experience with the DNS issue  =  redo everything  then blame FIREWALL,   then blame ISP.   

Message 37 of 50
RTog
Tutor

Netgear,

Please keep us updated on progress for fix.  I am so glad I discovered this forum and found I wasn't the only one with this problem.  I won't go in to how much turmoil this has caused our household.  Like others, I am reluctant to revert to older firmware revisions because of the security vulnerabilities however remote the possibility.

Sincerely,

Patiently Waiting

R6400v2

V1.0.4.120_10.0.91

Message 38 of 50

@RTog wrote:

Like others, I am reluctant to revert to older firmware revisions because of the security vulnerabilities however remote the possibility.

Like "some" others.

Many people have happily reverted to older firmware – perhaps to restore family sanity – and the sky has not fallen in.

The notion of "security vulnerabilities" seems designed to scare people. In reality you have to interpret those warnings in terms of what you are using and what the threats are. If your network includes a nuclear power station then take it more seriously than if you are worried about your connected doorbell.

Many of these "vulnerabilities" are arcane loopholes that they find in fancy research labs that throw all manner of theoretical assaults at a device. Many of these threats have never been seen in the real world.

I'm not suggesting that anyone should ignore their network's safety. Just that they should think a bit deeper before running for cover.

If there really is a threat out there, with networks crashing all over the planet, you will soon hear about it. If not, going back to older firmware may be a good way to get back to family harmony.

Message 39 of 50

So after a cooling off period, I decided to plug it back in and give it another whirl: I make no guarantees, but flashing the latest firmware 1.0.1.76 using this open source utility (https://github.com/jclehner/nmrpflash) which utilises a NetGear protocol (NMRP) intrinsically built into the router seems to have addressed the issue. TFTP didn't even function for those wondering. Now that I no longer need it, I'll be selling it anyway.

We already forwarded your details to our Level 2 department.

@olympos1625 

That's patent bull. I received an email as to when that ticket was opened, and it happened to be inbetween me sharting on you and you finally being bothered to reply. Where does the 'already' part come into it?

Your routers suck. This is the last time I'll be posting here. Feel free to lock this thread! I'll take a ban too.

Message 40 of 50
shura
Aspirant

I can confirm that the latest version (1.0.1.76). as installed using the built-in updater, does not seem to have this bug. But yeah, netgear has really gone to crap.

Message 41 of 50
robjak
Luminary

Finally, NETGEAR released the fix. I have been using the beta since mid sept.   For my model R8300 Ver 1.0.2.156  released 11/05/2021.  

Model: R8300|Nighthawk X8 AC5000 Smart WiFi Router
Message 42 of 50
Retired_Member
Not applicable

yup. Netgear product are terrible. Every update I am scared to break something. well today was something new.

expensive piece of crap.

Message 43 of 50
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Well my thumbs up is going to your comment.

Message 44 of 50
robjak
Luminary

Netgear did not include the DNS fix in the latest release for the R8300.   I cannot believe they would release without the fix.  They know how to fix it but will not release it.  I am now back on the beta. 

Message 45 of 50
PJRyno
Initiate

@bouncdchk wrote:

Oh thank goodness it's not just me.  I was going crazy cause I thought it might have been the new Windows update but my router updated at the same time.

I did a reset, tried setting the DNS manually to Google and Cloudflaire and still had the same issue.  I was starting to think it was something else.

I finally rolled back my firmware to version V1.0.4.106_10.0.80 and that seems to have fixed my issue.

===

I did this on two separate routers and both are back to functioning without the DNS problem.  Netgear - Please let me know when the new firmware update is availlable without this DNS problem.  I wasted a lot of my time on this problem. Not happy about it!

Message 46 of 50
Abtjg
Aspirant

Would appreciate it if you can advise how you got older firmware versions like this one from the support site?  The oldest listed under, "previous versions" is 1.0.2.52 and I can't seem to get to anything older than this...

Rolling back only to 1.0.2.52 sounds like it would not fix this issue....

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 47 of 50
Abtjg
Aspirant

When I go to the Netgear support site, the oldest firmware version available is 1.0.2.52 which would not resolve this issue.

Any advise on how to get to even older versions (like to V1.0.4.106_10.0.80 which you mention) ?

Thank you!

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 48 of 50

@Abtjg wrote:

When I go to the Netgear support site, the oldest firmware version available is 1.0.2.52 which would not resolve this issue.

Where are you looking?

The R6700 listed in your footer has firmware from

Firmware Version 1.0.0.2 (Initial Release)
Firmware Version 1.0.2.26

Any advise on how to get to even older versions (like to V1.0.4.106_10.0.80 which you mention) ?

There is no V1.0.4.106 for the R6700 or for the R6400 listed in the subject of this discussion.

For the R6400 firmware goes from

Firmware Version 1.0.1.76

Firmware Version 1.0.0.14 (Initial Release)

Neither the R6700 nor for the R6400 has 1.0.2.52 firmware.

We seem to be getting off topic here. Anyone with a different device from the R6400 might like to start a fresh discussion.

Message 49 of 50

@PJRyno wrote:

I finally rolled back my firmware to version V1.0.4.106_10.0.80 and that seems to have fixed my issue.

That is not firmware for the R6400 listed in your footer.

They go from:

Firmware Version 1.0.0.14 (Initial Release)

to

Firmware Version 1.0.1.76

Message 50 of 50
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7