× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

My phone can’t connect to the R6020-router

Elliesne
Aspirant

My phone can’t connect to the R6020-router

Hi! I bought my router back in 2019 and used it for about two months and haven’t used it since. Now I wanna use in my new apartment but can’t get it to connect to my phone despite all the symbols being green. I’ve restarted the router several times and I still can’t get it to connect to my phone. I have an iPhone xs and I’ve tried to enable local network access but the app can’t be seen in the WiFi-privacy settings, so I can’t manually enable it. It’s been driving me crazy and I don’t know what else to do, can someone please help me??
Message 1 of 8

Re: My phone can’t connect to the R6020-router

@Elliesne wrote:

I’ve restarted the router several times and I still can’t get it to connect to my phone.

Your router does not connect to the phone. It is the other way round. You have got it right in your subject.

The router broadcasts a wifi signal and your phone connects to that.

If you are using an iPhone, this might be useful:

NETGEAR Mobile Applications and Apple Devices FAQ - NETGEAR Communities

I have an iPhone xs and I’ve tried to enable local network access but the app can’t be seen in the WiFi-privacy settings, so I can’t manually enable it.

Are you trying to use the Nighthawk App to set up your router? It can be a lot easier of you do that with a web browser and the graphical user interface (GUI) and a wired connection from a PC to the router.

Message 2 of 8
Elliesne
Aspirant

Thanks for the info! I’ve tried to find the feature where I can enable it manually according to the manual you linked but my phone can’t find the router and the wifiname isn’t in the list of wifis so I can’t manually enable the private IP-address. And I don’t have the ability to do it through my computer so I have to do it through the app. Do you think it matters I’ve set it up once before or is my phone the only issue?
Message 3 of 8

What modem/ONT/gateway sits between your R6020 router and the internet?

Does it also produce wifi?

@Elliesne wrote:
Thanks for the info! I’ve tried to find the feature where I can enable it manually according to the manual you linked

Do you have a PC? Can you plug it into the router?

Did you find the section in the manual?

Manually Set Up the Internet Connection

my phone can’t find the router and the wifiname isn’t in the list of wifis so I can’t manually enable the private IP-address.

I don't understand that. What is this private IP-address? You don't need to do that to connect your router to the Internet through a modem.

Did you read the link to the iOS information?

This has nothing to do with its IP address.

The router has a label on the back with the default SSID and password for the wifi. It if then down to your mobile to connect to that. If it can't, then you have a problem with your mobile device, not the router.

One thing you can try if you can't see the wifi is to reset the router.

How do I perform a factory reset on my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 4 of 8
plemans
Guru

Just an FYI, the R6020 isn't gigabit-capable. Its on fast ethernet so 10/100mbps capable. If your apartment has faster speeds, it'll bottleneck you. Its a super basic router and family ancient. 

Message 5 of 8

@plemans wrote:

Just an FYI, the R6020 isn't gigabit-capable. Its on fast ethernet so 10/100mbps capable. If your apartment has faster speeds, it'll bottleneck you. Its a super basic router and family ancient. 

I wasn't going to bring that up until @Elliesne had worked out how to connect the thing.

The puzzle is that Netgear sold something like that as recently as 2017.

Anyone with an Internet connection faster than 100 Mbps is wasting money with that thing.

Message 6 of 8
plemans
Guru

@michaelkenward Not sure if its netgear still selling it or old stock sitting on shelves. I've found some pretty old devices still selling for top dollar in my area. A bit scary to someone WILL buy it and then complain that its generations out of date. 

Message 7 of 8

@plemans wrote:

@michaelkenward Not sure if its netgear still selling it or old stock sitting on shelves.

What I said was that is was puzzling that Netgear sold this thing in 2017, when it was first released.

In other words, the technology was well out of date long before it left the factory.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7