× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

N600 Questions re Acess Point/ USB Printer Server

Barryng1
Follower

N600 Questions re Acess Point/ USB Printer Server

I have an unused N600 ( WNDR3700v4) wireless router I am hoping to dedicate as a print server for an older but excellent HP 1310n Laser printer with only a USB interface (the printer's Ethernet port does not work). The printer will be located in an area somewhat remote from my office but both areas have excellent 2.4/5 GHz WiFi signal coverage. A cheap wireless inkjet printer would be a solution but it will get very little infrequent use so clogged print heads and a lot of very expensive dried up ink will certainly be a problem. I need to somehow find a way of connecting the Laser printer's USB port to the WiFi network. Please help with the following questions.

-Can I set the N600 up over WiFi or must it have an Ethernet connection to do so? I tried to access the N600 using 10.100.10.1, 10.100.10.125, but have been unsuccessful. I can connect it directly to my laptop's USB port but for a number of reasons WiFi access will significantly facilitate the task.

-Can the USB port on the front of the N600 feed the printer if I set the N600 up as an access point?

-If the USB port will feed the printer, is there anything else needed in the setup other than enabling it as an access point? It obviously has to connect to the WiFi network so I assume how to enter the existing network name and password will be self evident.

I have successfully used the N600 and other wireless routers to create a WiFi network from an Ethernet connection but in this case the N600 will just be using an existing network like a client so I do not know if it can do that.

Message 1 of 2

Re: N600 Questions re Acess Point/ USB Printer Server

@Barryng1 wrote:

-Can I set the N600 up over WiFi or must it have an Ethernet connection to do so? I tried to access the N600 using 10.100.10.1, 10.100.10.125, but have been unsuccessful.

How do you want the WNDR3700v4 – please don't call it an N600 because Netgear has made dozens of those – to the network?

You have two options, as an wireless access point wired back to the main router or as a wireless repeater.

The manual explains how to do these. Look at the sections Wireless AP and Wireless Repeating Function (WDS).

I don't know why you were trying to use 10.100.10.1. Perhaps it would help to tell people what the main router is. That might rule out the WDS option, because not all router play nicely with that.

AP mode should work with just about any router.

-Can the USB port on the front of the N600 feed the printer if I set the N600 up as an access point?

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

The bad news is that the WNDR3700v4 does not claim to support a USB printer. The WNDR3700v5 does support ReadySHARE Printer. There's a chance that a firmware update added it to your router.

The way to try that is to test the printer on the WNDR3700v4 by putting it into AP mode and connecting it to the router. The see if the printer plays ball.

-If the USB port will feed the printer, is there anything else needed in the setup other than enabling it as an access point? It obviously has to connect to the WiFi network ....

In access point mode, the WNDR3700v4 does not connect to the wifi. Do not enable it as an access point if you want to use it over wifi to the main router.

The manual should answer your other questions.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7