× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Net Gear R6080. Cannot Connect To Wi Fi On Phone.

Samuel0014
Aspirant

Net Gear R6080. Cannot Connect To Wi Fi On Phone.

Hello,

Brand new here. Hope you guys can help. I have exhausted other resources. Maybe my problem has nothing to do with router - I really don't know.

I have a Galaxy A13 phone. I have been able to send and receive pictures attached to text messages. But now I can't. When someone tries to send me a picture, he gets message, "Failed." When I try to send a picture, I get message, "Multi Media [Something] Not Supported By Network." (Don't remember exact wording.)

Called Galaxy Customer Support. Guy I talked to was very nice and patient with me, even though he thought I was dumb as a rock. He finally decided phone not connected to Internet. I don't know; still able to access e-mail via phone and send text messages with no attachment. He suggest I contact my Internet provider, BAIConnect.

BaiConnect guy said I needed wi-fi. I thought I had wi-fi through my Netgear 6080 router. When I go to Settings --> Connections --> wi-fi, it says, "Netgear 25" When I press that, it says, "Connected." But I still get message "Multi Media Not Supported By Network."

Don't know where to go from here. If you guys have any idea, I would appreciate your help.

Sam

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions

Re: Net Gear R6080. Cannot Connect To Wi Fi On Phone.

@Samuel0014 wrote:

I have no idea what "telecom operator issue" means.

This is whoever provides your cell phone service.

Trying to send or receive pictures attached to text messages, as mentioned in your first message, has nothing to do with the Internet service provider or the wifi from your router.

You should be able to do that when you are nowhere near your home wifi.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 9

All Replies
microchip8
Master

This has nothing to do with your router. Sending pics via messages (MMS) is a telecom operator issue.
Message 2 of 9

As @microchip8 says, your router has nothing to do with how your phone works.

This bit is a bity puzzling though:

@Samuel0014 wrote:

BaiConnect guy said I needed wi-fi. I thought I had wi-fi through my Netgear 6080 router. When I go to Settings --> Connections --> wi-fi, it says, "Netgear 25" When I press that, it says, "Connected." But I still get message "Multi Media Not Supported By Network."

For a start, you don't need wifi to send photos on a phone. That is down to the mobile network. It is, though, cheaper, as in free, if you use wifi .

I would be worried about that router though. The R6080 is one of the least capable in Netgear's range.

According to Netgear's manual for this device, not always the most reliable source of information, the LAN and WAN ports support only 10BASE-T or 100BASE-TX. That makes it slower than many newer internet services and most modern network hardware. This may not matter to you, but be warned that it will hobble you if you ever sign up for faster Internet, anything faster than 100 Mbps is a waste of your money.

A slow router will also limit the speed that your wifi can deliver. There too the top speed will be 100 Mbps.

Message 3 of 9
Samuel0014
Aspirant

Thank you for the responses. I have no idea what "telecom operator issue" means. You mean my Internet service provider?? I need to contact the service provider again and ask him how to solve problem?? I really am dumb and I'm sorry, but I just don't understand what steps I have to take to be able to send and receive pictures via text.

Well, doesn't matter, since you say it has nothing to do with router. I'll look elsewhere.

Sam

Message 4 of 9

@Samuel0014 wrote:

I have no idea what "telecom operator issue" means.

This is whoever provides your cell phone service.

Trying to send or receive pictures attached to text messages, as mentioned in your first message, has nothing to do with the Internet service provider or the wifi from your router.

You should be able to do that when you are nowhere near your home wifi.

Message 5 of 9
Samuel0014
Aspirant

OK. Thanks. I will contact Consumer Cellular and ask them for assistance.

Message 6 of 9
Samuel0014
Aspirant

Thanks to all of you in Net Gear Community. I contacted cell phone service provider and they easily fixed problem.

Message 7 of 9

@Samuel0014 wrote:

Thanks to all of you in Net Gear Community. I contacted cell phone service provider and they easily fixed problem.

Well done.

What was the fix? Might help someone who turns up here with similar issues.

Message 8 of 9
Samuel0014
Aspirant

That was the fix - Contact cell phone service provider. I was unable to send and receive pictures attached to text messages. I contacted Samsung Tech Service and my ISP Tech Service. No help. It was you guys in NetGear Community who told me I needed to contact the correct customer service provider. So I contacted Consumer Cellular and they reset something at their end. (No, I dunno what they reset.) Have had no problem since.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7