× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear R6400 Slow Wired Speed Issues

BigNutBean
Aspirant

Netgear R6400 Slow Wired Speed Issues

Good afternoon folks, I'm new to the forums and new to home networking in general. I tried searching the forums and online for solutions but I got mixed results and I'm not sure how to proceed forward.

Problem: I'm not getting the advertised speed from my ISP while using my router. Conducting a speed test, I only get a maximum of 95 Mbps upload and download. Connecting directly to my Modem, I get the full advertised speed both for my Laptop and PC.

I have tried doing a factory reset on the Router and then updating its firmware to the latest version but it still shows 95 Mbps up and down. I made sure in the Nighthawk App that Traffic Meter is turned off. I logged into my Router and went into Advance Settings and made sure that Upstream and Downstream QoS in turned off/unchecked. 

ISP Plan: Symmetrical internet 600/600 Mbps

Modem: Nokia ONT XS-010X-Q

Router: R6400

Router Firmware: V1.0.1.78_1.0.50

Thank you!

Note: All test were performed using a WIRED connection unless stated otherwise.

Message 1 of 5

Re: Netgear R6400 Slow Wired Speed Issues

The first refrain you will here is "Check the cables".

Message 2 of 5
plemans
Guru

You can check and see what link speed its connecting at

https://kb.netgear.com/24222/How-do-I-display-Internet-port-statistics-on-my-Nighthawk-router

if its 10/100mbps, then try swapping cables

Message 3 of 5
BigNutBean
Aspirant

Hello! I have checked my cables and ran them through a speed test and everything came out looking normal except when plugged into the R6400 Router as pictured below. I do not get my full speed.

Untitled Diagram.drawio (1).png

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

When I ran the test as pictured below, I get my full internet speed.

Untitled Diagram.drawio (2).png

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

I followed your instruction on checking the link speed and it shows 10/100mbps at the WAN Port. I unfortunately do not have another ethernet cable and will have to wait for another cable to arrive to test. What I don't understand is if I'm getting full speed connecting directly to the Modem, my cables should be fine and eliminated as the suspect?

Thank you! 

Message 4 of 5
plemans
Guru

some devices aren't as tolerant as others of sketcy connections. Routers tend to be less tolerant as if they mess up, the whole system messes up. Versus if a laptops connection is sketchy, its only effecting itself. 

but it could be the router. That's always a chance. A bent/dirty, or bad port could be causing it. I'm not ruling that out. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7