× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear is refusing to replace or troubleshoot my router unless I purchase technical support

OzelnHaxy
Follower

Netgear is refusing to replace or troubleshoot my router unless I purchase technical support

Hello everyone!

Long time netgear owner, first time contacting support.

My last netgear router had no issues, lasted for 5 years and I loved it. Decided to stick with them an purchased a new device in June of 2020. 2-3 months ago, my internet started randomly dropping internet. The device was still powered up, but any device connected to it, both Ethernet and wireless, will have no network access.

I originally thought my issue was the modem, as it’s had its problems. I replaced it, but the issue is still an issue. In the last 2 weeks, I’ve had to hard reset my router 10+ times. I moved a few devices directly to the modem, and they retain internet when the network drops on my router.

I attempted to replace the Cat6 cables, moved power around, and even factory reset the router. Same issue. Contacted support this morning, and because the device powered on they are refusing to do anything unless I purchase technical support.

Now, I’ve worked in IT for a decade, so I understand them not immediately replacing the device. However, I shouldn’t have to purchase a support plan to get my device looked at when it is still under the 1 year warranty.

Am I the only one who has had this issue, or is it a common one? What would you recommend?

Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: Netgear is refusing to replace or troubleshoot my router unless I purchase technical support

A couple things. 

1. Support is only free for the first 90 days. Unless its a clear hardware failure, if you're out of that 90 days, then you do have to pay for support. You can usually get them to agree to refund it if it turns out to be a hardware failure. But if its a settings issue, then its on you to pay for additional support. Sadly, if they made you pay afterwards, how many people would just say no and hang up? That's why if it powers on, you're on the hook for support until proven its a hardware failure. But get them to agree up front to refund if its a hardware failure. (if you use support)

2. the community support forum is here to help for free. We're members of the pbulic that help out on here. Its a good resource to use to make sure you've ruled out some of the firmware/settings issues that could cause your problem. 

3. Details. If you're wanting to use the community for help, we need details. You didnt' put what router you have, what modem/gateway its connected to, what firmware you're on, if its happening to all devices/wired device/just wireless devices/if its saying "connected, no internet'/ or much of any details other than it drops. Help us to help you. 

4. You put that the connection stays up for those devices connected to the modem. That's indicating that it isn't just a modem, that its a modem router combo device. Cascading routers can cause issues. its called a double nat. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7