× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Network layout improvement

Forgeahead
Guide

Network layout improvement

I have the following network layout, with Windows 10.

The internet is accessed thru comcast. The WNDR4300 is hard wired to my computer and to the WNR2020 which is in the front of the house. The entertainment is is hardwired to the WNR2020 and we use it for WIFI on phones and 2nd computer.

The phones particularly do not stay connected to the WNR2020 and routinely must be re connected. When I installed the WNR2020 it seemed to map directly to the WNDR4300.  Maybe I need to upgrade the modems, but other than the connect issue in the front of the house they seem to be working well.

Any suggestions, I have thought that maybe instead of having the IP addresses assigned by the modems they should be fixed. Thanks

Model: WNDR4300v2|N750 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router, WNR2020v2|N300 WiFi Router with External Antennas
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
Forgeahead
Guide

Re: Network layout improvement

Thank, sounds like you have upped your system to WIFI 6. Pretty sure that would not help me due to Cable limits. Sounds nice though.

Will I be able to tie in my printer to the Orbi system with the Netgear ReadyShare app?

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 14

All Replies
plemans
Guru

You didn't give us much. 

1. what modem do you have from comcast?

2. is it only devices connected to the wnr2020?

3. is the wndr2020 in router or access point mode? 

Message 2 of 14
Forgeahead
Guide

I have a Zoom 3.0 Series 1094, Model 5341J bringing in the comcast signal.

Only problem is connectivity to the WNR2020.

and the WNR2020 is in Router Mode

Message 3 of 14
Forgeahead
Guide

Actually I went back to that computer in the front room and noticed that when I logged in it actually took me to the WNDR4300 which is in Router Mode. I am not sure about the WNR2020 since when I try to log in with 192.168.1.1 I only get to the 4300

Message 4 of 14

@Forgeahead wrote:

Actually I went back to that computer in the front room and noticed that when I logged in it actually took me to the WNDR4300 which is in Router Mode. I am not sure about the WNR2020 since when I try to log in with 192.168.1.1 I only get to the 4300

You have (at least) two routers on your network.  the above it seems that both the WNDR4300 and WNR2020 are in router mode.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Unless you have specific reasons for using two routers – to create two separate networks for example – it is often easier to use just one router and then to set up the second router as a wifi access point. Netgear advises this, as does just about every site you will visit.

Fortunately, the Zoom device appears to be a simple modem.

Before you start worrying about fixing IP addresses, it might be a good idea to deal with the double-NAT issue. This may solve the problem with errant phones. But when it comes to connecting to wifi, that is down to them, the wifi clients. The routers just provide wifi. Devices that old – both date back more than five years – are not smart enough to control what the various clients get up to. For better management of that you may need to invest in something smarter, such as a Mesh system.

Message 5 of 14
Forgeahead
Guide

I think it is time to upgrade to a new system. I am thinking a Netgear WIFI / Cable Modem combo that has mesh capabilities. I don't have real fast speeds (275mbps down, and 10 mbps up).  If I were to get an AC1900 router then I can add as many Orbi extenders as needed and still use the Zoom Modem I have. I would guess that would provide better performance. Is there an Orbi Wifi 5 system that would not require the extra router? 

Message 6 of 14

@Forgeahead wrote:

I think it is time to upgrade to a new system. I am thinking a Netgear WIFI / Cable Modem combo that has mesh capabilities. I don't have real fast speeds (275mbps down, and 10 mbps up).  If I were to get an AC1900 router then I can add as many Orbi extenders as needed and still use the Zoom Modem I have.

There's a  bit of confusion in there on my part. Do you want a "WIFI / Cable Modem combo that has mesh capabilities" alongside the Zoom Modem? That would land you with two modems.

In general, experienced users avoid modem/router combinations. Cable modems don't let you update their firmware. (ISPs don't allow it.) More important, combo devices rarely have the range of features that you get with a standalone router.

The general advice is to have a separate modem followed by a router that does what you want.

If your existing modem still does its job, you could keep that and replace the router bits after it.

Message 7 of 14
Forgeahead
Guide

Sorry for the confusion. I mistyped that. what I was asking is, if the AC1900 will work with the Orbi extenders? You are right I did plan to keep the modem I have. I got called away in mid thought and did not fix that.

Thanks for your time and thoughts.

Message 8 of 14
plemans
Guru

That zoom model is a modem only device. 

You can easily connect a orbi mesh system to it. 

The RBK43 and RBK53 are getting a little more scarce but I've seen the refurb'd units for pretty cheap. 

And they'd work well with the speeds you're paying for. 

Message 9 of 14
Forgeahead
Guide

Thanks again for your help. I will look for those. Have a good day, if I have any questions I will come back to you.

Message 10 of 14

@Forgeahead wrote:

Sorry for the confusion. I mistyped that. what I was asking is, if the AC1900 will work with the Orbi extenders?

More confusion on my part. What do you mean by "the AC1900"?

AC1900 is not a reliable guide to model number. Many devices come with an AC tag, but it is essentially a label that Netgear, and other brands, attach to hardware to describe an ageing wifi technology. (Can you still buy it?)

Orbi is Mesh. Any extenders (or satellites in Orbi speak) have to be Mesh if you want to have all the benefits.

The EX6400 is a standard extender. It is not an Orbi device although it claims to be Mesh. I can see no AC1900 router that does Mesh.

The EX6400 should work with an Orbi router, but if that gives you true Mesh, rather than a standalone access point, is a different issue.

Message 11 of 14
Forgeahead
Guide

What I was looking at was the R9600P on Amazon, it is AC1900 I just am confused about all the variables.

My plan is to get the RBK43S for $226 right now. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08N3DHVS1/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Message 12 of 14
plemans
Guru

the orbi system will perform about the same in terms of peak performance as the R6900p (pretty sure you mean that router) but will have much better coverage.  Its a solid system from my experience. 

Message 13 of 14
Forgeahead
Guide

Thank, sounds like you have upped your system to WIFI 6. Pretty sure that would not help me due to Cable limits. Sounds nice though.

Will I be able to tie in my printer to the Orbi system with the Netgear ReadyShare app?

Message 14 of 14
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7