× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New R6400 does not see internet on install

Trogdor
Aspirant

New R6400 does not see internet on install

I'm attempting to upgrade from an N300 router to a R6400 router.  On install, the R6400 does not see the DSL modem (Speedstream 5260), I'm using the same wiring for both routers only disconnecting  and connecting at the router.  Tried tech support both on chat (twice) and on phone.  Netgear had me contact internet supplier (earthlink dsl) with no resolution.  Currently plugged back into N300 router.  Netgear sent new R6400 router and attempting install same issue with new router.  Used Netgear Genie to locate settings that work with the N300, but when same settings are applied to R6400 still not working.  Power has been cycled on everything multiple times, including powering the modem off with router on.  I spent 6 hours with tech support on the first R6400 router and now I've spent several hours on this new replacement router.  Any suggestions before I return the router to Best Buy?

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Trogdor
Aspirant

Re: New R6400 does not see internet on install

The new router arrived and the installation was smooth as silk.  Everything up and running great!!

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Trogdor,

1. Can your computer go online while connected straight to the Speedstream modem without any additional configuration on the computer?

2. Have you tried configuring your ISP's DSL settings (username and password) on the router UI?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 2 of 6
Trogdor
Aspirant

Just got off of the phone with teh help center.  Went through all of the exact same stuff as I did with first router, no joy.  They have given me a new RMA# and will be paying shipping this time.

To answer you questions:

1.  Yes, I can connect to the internet directly via the Speedstream modem.  But I'm currently typing this via a Netgear N300 WNR2000 v3 router connected through the Speedstream.

2.  Yes, tried configuring via the Netgear Genie, & tried forcing the same numbers used by the WNR2000.  After applying the settings, looking at the Genie in the advanced setting for Internet, The number seen in the Internet Port box are all zeros.

Message 3 of 6
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Trogdor,

Please keep us posted once you have received the replacement unit and encounter the same issue.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 4 of 6
Trogdor
Aspirant

The new router arrived and the installation was smooth as silk.  Everything up and running great!!

Message 5 of 6
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Trogdor,

That is good to know.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats