× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

No Internet when I enable VPN on my R6260 router

cyberzork
Aspirant

No Internet when I enable VPN on my R6260 router

Hi. I am trying to enable the VPN service on my R6260 in order to be able to connect to my home network remotely. However, as soon as I click Apply, I lose Internet connection, with a message in WiFi settings "Connected/No Internet". Any ideas as to what the problem may be?
Message 1 of 5
Kitsap
Master

Re: No Internet when I enable VPN on my R6260 router

@cyberzork wrote:
Hi. I am trying to enable the VPN service on my R6260 in order to be able to connect to my home network remotely. However, as soon as I click Apply, I lose Internet connection, with a message in WiFi settings "Connected/No Internet". Any ideas as to what the problem may be?

I cannot tell from your message.  When you click Apply, what screen are you on, what application are you in, are you connected to your LAN?

Message 2 of 5
cyberzork
Aspirant

Hi, thanks for your reply. I am logging into the settings screen of my home router using the Chrome browser on my phone, URL is 192.168.1.1, user id is "Admin". So, when I click Apply I am still in the browser of my phone and I can still access the settings, but I can no longer access the Internet.
Message 3 of 5
Kitsap
Master

@cyberzork wrote:
Hi, thanks for your reply. I am logging into the settings screen of my home router using the Chrome browser on my phone, URL is 192.168.1.1, user id is "Admin". So, when I click Apply I am still in the browser of my phone and I can still access the settings, but I can no longer access the Internet.

When connected over VPN, you should be able to access the router configuration pages as well as access the internet.  With a VPN connection established, your phone is assigned a local IP address just like you were connected over your home Wi-Fi.

How is your phone connected to the internet when this happens?  Is your phone connected to the internet through cell data?  Is your phone connected to the internet through your home Wi-Fi?  Is your phone connected to the internet through Wi-Fi at a location outside your home?

When you are on your phone, have you started the OpenVPN application and established a connection to your home network?

When you configure the VPN on your router, there is an option to connect with access to your LAN only or to your LAN plus all sites on the internet.  How do you have that configured?

Is your phone on the Android operating system or on iOS?

Have you established and configured a Dynamic Domain Name Service (DDNS)?

I know it is a lot of questions.  There are a lot of variables to make the VPN service function.

Message 4 of 5
marcoronzi
Tutor

The VPN configuration on your R6260 router may be causing a conflict with your Internet connection. Check your VPN settings, network configuration, firewall settings, firmware updates, and try resetting your router.

If none of these work, contact the manufacturer or Internet service provider for help.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7