× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

No internet connection

J_Jefferson
Aspirant

No internet connection

Unit has been working for years.  Suddenly, when trying to connect, get message " Wi-Fi doesn't have a valid IP Configuration".  Therefore, cannot connect to either of the 4 ports or thru Wi-Fi.  Power light is on as well as 2.4GHz and 5 GHz and WPS.  Internet and Ethernet port (1-4) lights are off.

Available networks do show up on pc as NetGear91 and NetGear91-5G.  If try to us WPS to connect, get message “Can’t connect to this network”. 

I connected an old Linksys router and it worked, therefore, connection from Xfinity modem to WAN on NetGear router is good.

I believe the NetGear router is bad.  Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 14
plemans
Guru

Re: No internet connection

1. what router do you have? you didn't put a model anywhere I could find

2. what firmware is on it? 

3. What modem/gateway is it connected to? 

Message 2 of 14
J_Jefferson
Aspirant

I thought I had everything in the message.  Netgear AC1750 Smart WiF Router, 02.11 ac dual Bank Gigabit, Model No: R6400v2, (R6400-100NAS), firmware V1.0.4.78.  Cannot get internet connection to try to update firmware.  Tried to use NightHawk app on android phone and routerlogin.net.genie but since no internet connection, this failed.

It is connected to Xfinity modem XB6-T.  Tested with an old Linksys router so I know there is not a problem with the modem connection to the router.  Reason I switched to the NetGear AC1750 was to get more WiFi range.

Message 3 of 14
plemans
Guru

that xfinity modem is a router as well. It puts you in a double nat. Some handle it better than others. 

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

have you disabled the routing functions on the xfinity? 

or put the netgear in access point mode?

Message 4 of 14
J_Jefferson
Aspirant

I have done nothing to the xfiniity (modem/router)  It has worked perfectly for 2 years.  I believe the router just might be bad.

I cannot access or update the software on the NetGear router because I have no wifi on the unit.  Old routers will work.

Message 5 of 14
wcalifas
Prodigy

did you try restarting the netgear router? you can also try resetting the router back to defaults again by pushing the reset button for 30 seconds. Did you try any of those?

Message 6 of 14
J_Jefferson
Aspirant

Yes did a restart and tried resetting the router back to defaults.  Still no WiFi light.  Cannot access off-line or at least what I tried did not work.  I believe it it just might be DEAD.

Message 7 of 14
plemans
Guru

You should be able to access it off line. 

What are all the led's on it doing?

How are you attempting to access it? wired? 

did you disconnect it from the xfinity device. 

Message 8 of 14
J_Jefferson
Aspirant

Tried to hook it to a laptop with a cable to to one of the 4 ports.  Think it is just dead. No WiFi light.

Tried to enter 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.1.1 got nothing.

Since this was a good unit, I will just get another AC1750.

What is the difference with at R4600v2 and R6400-NAS?  Which is best?

Thanks

Message 9 of 14
plemans
Guru

V2 is better. 

Are any of the led's on? If its a corrupt firmware issue, a tftp or nmrp flash procedure could fix it. 

Message 10 of 14
wcalifas
Prodigy

Try 192.168.1.1 or http://routerlogin.net on your browser.
Message 11 of 14
J_Jefferson
Aspirant

OK, making progress.  Trying a firmware update.  Connnected NetGear router to laptop via ethernet cable.  Plugged into port 1.  Laptop is not conected to Xfinithy router but connected via Wifi.  Was able to get inot NetGear page using ip addresses you referred to so it must be readying data of router.   Firware verson V1.0.4.78_10.0.55, Advanced tab shows Netgear Router information, Wireless Settings for 2.4GHz and 5GHz, but Interenet port shows a yellow triangle with !. No ethernet plugged into the routner internet port.  

On the left menu, if I clck on NetGear Downloader, nothing happens, probably becuase there is not connection. 

I went to Advanced Settings > Adinistration > Router Update  > Got a file I had download to a thumbdrive but when trying to apply said is was a *chk file.  I downloaded another file to my lap top (icon of books) R6400v2.V1.0.4.102_10.0.75 which is a zip file.  This may just be documentaton.  Amy pointers as how to proceed.

Message 12 of 14
wcalifas
Prodigy

Open the folder and drag it out from that folder and set it out on your desktop and then apply the update manually. Click the file from the desktop when it asks you where you want to choose the file from.
Message 13 of 14
J_Jefferson
Aspirant

Think we are making some progress.  Please look at my documentation attached that shows screen shots of my progression.  Appeared upload was working but after completion, got "No Connection".    What is next step.  The last screenshot is for Interent Setup, which is blank.  Maybe this page has to be setup.  Thought it would update automatically, so could this be why I have no WiFi connection?  What data needs to go here?  

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7