× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR350 Ethernet speeds much slower than wireless speeds

KRey
Aspirant

Orbi RBR350 Ethernet speeds much slower than wireless speeds

Hi all, I’ve just set up my Orbi RBR350 in my new home. I have it connected directly to my NBN NTD box via a cat6a Ethernet cable. The wireless speeds are as expected ~600mbps however, when I connect a my laptop to the RBR via a cat6a it gives me speeds of ~80mbps which is less than a quarter of its wireless speeds. I’ve troubleshooted by switching out cables to ensure it’s not a faulty cable, tried all different LAN ports on the RBR, reviewed the statistics page on the orbilogin to ensure I’m seeing a 1000M/Full connection when I’m plugged in via Ethernet, though regretfully all these have failed and I’m still receiving ~80mbps Ethernet speeds. As I’ve recently installed it last week, it has the latest firmware. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.
Message 1 of 8
olympos1625
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi KRey,

Welcome to NETGEAR Community!

Thank you for reaching out. May we know how many laptops have you tried connecting directly to the router using an ethernet cable? If just one, may we know what is the LAN adapter? What is the brand and model of the laptop?

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you need further assistance. 

Regards,

Oliver

Community Team

Message 2 of 8
KRey
Aspirant

Thanks for replying Oliver.

I have only tried 1 laptop though it’s not old. The LAN adapter is “Realtek USB GbE Family Controller” with a Speed: 1.0 Gbps. The brand is Dell and model is XPS 13 9300.

Netgear have just responded and asked if I could troubleshoot by changing the MTU size? Not sure what that is or how that might help but I will also attempt this.

Thanks
Message 3 of 8
olympos1625
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi KRey,

Please check if you have SmartByte installed on your laptop. Please check the link speed of the LAN adapter while connected to the router( wired).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UZXx1avODI

Regards,

Oliver

Community Team

Message 4 of 8
KRey
Aspirant

Hi Oliver,

Thanks again for the reply.

I've confirmed that there is no SmartByte installed on the laptop.

Also confirmed that the link speed of the LAN adapter while wired to the router is 1000/1000 (Mbps) per your video linked.

Wonder what it could be if not those above?

Kind regards,

KRey

Message 5 of 8
olympos1625
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi KRey, 

Thank you for your confirmation. Please plug your laptop directly into the laptop and see what speed are you getting.

Regards,

Oliver

Community Team

Message 6 of 8
KRey
Aspirant

Hi Oliver,

Did you mean my laptop directly into the NBN NTD box? If so, I will do that and let you know.

Thanks
Message 7 of 8
olympos1625
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi KRey, 

Yes, that's right. Please keep us posted.

Regards,

Oliver

Community Team

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7